This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.7969 / 50°47'48"N
Longitude: -1.1029 / 1°6'10"W
OS Eastings: 463320
OS Northings: 100088
OS Grid: SU633000
Mapcode National: GBR VP4.NN
Mapcode Global: FRA 86LZ.L4Q
Plus Code: 9C2WQVWW+QR
Entry Name: Church of St George
Listing Date: 10 January 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387161
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475070
Location: Portsmouth, PO1
Electoral Ward/Division: Charles Dickens
Built-Up Area: Portsmouth
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Portsea St George
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SU6300 ST GEORGE'S SQUARE, Portsea
774-1/8/304 Church of St George
Church. 1754; damaged by bombs Second World War, restored 1952
and 1972. Probably by Nicholas Vass. Red brick with grey
headers in England bond. Plain tiled hipped roofs. Aligned
north-west/south-east, liturgical east used in this
STYLE: "New England Colonial".
PLAN: 3-bay aisled nave, north-east vestry, main entrance
porch and balcony access pavilions at west.
EXTERIOR: south face has 2 tiers of 5 wood mullioned and
transomed windows with plain glass leaded lights. At ground
floor each window is set under a round gauged brick arch with
key stone and stone imposts, and on first floor each set under
a cambered gauged brick arch with keystone. Projecting brick
To left (west) is a low flat roofed balcony access wing with
blinded recessed window opening set under gauged brick round
arch with keystone. Brick band and stone coped parapet.
West face of nave projects slightly and has 3 tiers of wood
windows with brick bands between. At centre is headed window
similar to south face. Second and third tiers have 3 similar
mullioned windows each set under a gauged brick cambered arch
with keystone. Flanking windows to third tier are blinded.
Facing stone coped parapet gable broken by wood bell turret
with lead roof, gold ball and weather vane. Each side of
turret has a round-headed opening with flanking Doric columns.
Left and right aisles have sloping stone coped parapets.
Projecting from north and south aisles is a low balcony access
pavilion, each with similar round-headed window and facing
stone coped gable. On inward return to each pavilion is a
6-panelled door with moulded architrave and entablature.
The north face is similar to south but with 4 windows to each
of the 2 tiers. c1900 entrance projection to left (east).
East face partially obscured by later church hall (of no
special interest) has at centre Venetian window with plain
glass leaded lights, Doric flanking pilasters and entablature,
round-headed stone arch to centre with keystone, gauged brick
relieving arch, keystoned oculus. On far left and right is a
blinded round-arched window opening.
INTERIOR: east face has Venetian window with Doric pilasters
and entablature with flanking round-headed blind panels and
moulded surround set within recessed round-headed panel.
Quarter Corinthian column pilasters to left and right of
recess with ornate brackets to entablature. 4 large Tuscan
columns surround the central space with barrel vaulted
ceiling. Balcony to west north and south supported by timber
fluted piers set on high pedestals.
(Balfour A: Portsmouth: Highgate Hill, London: 1970-: 25;
Lloyd DW: Buildings of Portsmouth and its Environs:
Portsmouth: 1974-: 17, 18; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N
& Lloyd DW: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: Harmondsworth:
1967-: 438, 439; Offord J: Churches, Chapels & Places of
Worship on Portsea Island: Southsea: 1989-: 31, 32, 33).
Listing NGR: SU6329600118
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings