This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8623 / 51°51'44"N
Longitude: -2.2527 / 2°15'9"W
OS Eastings: 382695
OS Northings: 218225
OS Grid: SO826182
Mapcode National: GBR 1L5.78T
Mapcode Global: VH94B.WGY5
Plus Code: 9C3VVP6W+WW
Entry Name: Biddles Warehouse
Listing Date: 12 March 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245597
English Heritage Legacy ID: 472553
Location: Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL1
Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate
Built-Up Area: Gloucester
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Hempsted with Gloucester, Saint Mary de Lode and Saint Mary de Crypt
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO8218SE THE DOCKS
844-1/11/338 Biddle's Warehouse
Former bonded warehouse. 1830. By W Franklin, architect, of
Stroud, for John Biddle, miller, of Stroud, in style similar
to cloth mills in the Stroud Valley. Following subsidence of
foundations supporting internal columns, warehouse leased in
1864 to John Weston and Co., corn merchants, on condition that
repairs were carried out. Brick with stone sills to window
openings, internally timber floors supported by hollow
cast-iron columns; slate roof, originally hipped, but replaced
after 1864 with end-gabled roof with timber barge and eaves
boards. A large rectangular block parallel with the Dock's
EXTERIOR: five storeys and loft, the original design of four
storeys and loft had a double-height ground floor divided
later by the insertion of a floor; brick eaves cornices, in
the centre of west side a full-height loading door opening
with timber doors to each floor, and above at eaves level a
timber, gabled, cat-head hoist canopy, flanking the openings
on each side four windows to each floor; east side has 9
windows each floor with timber connecting link to Shipton's
Warehouse (qv); in the centre of each gable-end wall a loading
door opening with timber doors to each floor, and above a
cat-head hoist canopy at apex of gable, flanking the openings
to either side two windows on each floor, and a single window
in the gable; all the window openings have brick,
segmental-arched heads and stone sills; the windows on all
floors, other than the top floor, are larger than in later
warehouses within the Docks.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
(Conway-Jones H: Gloucester Docks An Illustrated History:
Gloucester: 1984-: 165; Original Drawings in Gloucestershire
Records Office: D2460 Drawings 1-H).
Listing NGR: SO8269518225
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings