This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8619 / 51°51'42"N
Longitude: -2.2502 / 2°15'0"W
OS Eastings: 382867
OS Northings: 218174
OS Grid: SO828181
Mapcode National: GBR 1L5.7XQ
Mapcode Global: VH94B.YG8J
Plus Code: 9C3VVP6X+QW
Entry Name: Weighbridge House
Listing Date: 12 March 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245612
English Heritage Legacy ID: 472522
Location: Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL1
Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate
Built-Up Area: Gloucester
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Hempsted with Gloucester, Saint Mary de Lode and Saint Mary de Crypt
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO8218SE SOUTHGATE STREET
844-1/11/300 (East side)
12/03/73 Weighbridge House
Former office and store for the former weighbridge at the east
gate entry to the Gloucester Docks. 1849. Brick stuccoed on
front and sides; felt roof, originally slate; central brick
stack at rear. A small rectangular building placed diagonally
on the north-west corner of the junction of Southgate Street
and the entry to the docks.
EXTERIOR: single storey; on the front three unequal bays with
pilasters capped by abaci supporting a plain architrave,
cornice and pediment; the end walls have the same entablature
and similar pediments. On the front a central entrance
doorway, the door with two lower panels and an upper glazed
panel; in the right-hand bay a sash with glazing bars (4x4
panes) in an opening with a projecting stone sill.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
Designed in the same plain classical style as the lock
keepers' cottages on the Gloucester-Sharpness Canal.
Listing NGR: SO8286718174
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings