History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

25, South Quay

A Grade II* Listed Building in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6038 / 52°36'13"N

Longitude: 1.7265 / 1°43'35"E

OS Eastings: 652426

OS Northings: 307188

OS Grid: TG524071

Mapcode National: GBR YQY.R9P

Mapcode Global: WHNVZ.HTC7

Entry Name: 25, South Quay

Listing Date: 27 June 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1245803

English Heritage Legacy ID: 468629

Location: Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR30

County: Norfolk

District: Great Yarmouth

Town: Great Yarmouth

Electoral Ward/Division: Nelson

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Great Yarmouth

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Great Yarmouth

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Gorleston-on-Sea

Listing Text


GREAT YARMOUTH

TG5207SW SOUTH QUAY
839-1/15/178 (North East side)
27/06/53 No.25

GV II*

Marked 'Surgery' on OS map.
House dated 1644, partly remodelled late C18 (probably 1772),
converted to offices C20. Red brick with decorative burnt
headers. Slate to front roof, pantiled to rear roof, slate in
valley between. 2 parallel ranges.
EXTERIOR: facade of 3 storeys in 4 irregular bays. 5-window
range in all. Rendered and colourwashed ground floor with a
6-panelled door set left of centre. Doorcase has a pair of
engaged fluted columns supporting block entablatures, between
which is a reeded frieze. One C20 horned sash to left and 2 to
right, none with glazing bars. Upper floors have brick laid in
Flemish bond and a zig-zag pattern of burnt headers. Four C20
sashes to each floor without glazing bars, all with rendered
surrounds. A small additional sash is to right of first floor.
Modillion eaves cornice below a gabled roof. Internal
gable-end stacks to north and south. Rebuilt south gable head.
South gable with an C18 sliding 4/4 sash and a mid C17 2-light
mullioned window. Rear block is a separate parallel range in 2
storeys and dormer attic. Originally the elevation had a
central door with a wide mullioned window right and left to
each floor, all 4 under moulded brick pediments. Pediments
remain but the C17 windows replaced with pairs of 2/2 horned
sashes. Panelled door under a C20 gabled porch hood. Above is
a date plaque with coat of arms and date 1644 with initials G
and S surmounted by an E. Brick has diaper patterns of burnt
headers and an irregular bond. Ovolo-moulded eaves cornice.
Gabled roof with a sloping C20 dormer and internal gable-end
stacks right and left. To left is a lead water hopper and
down-pipe with the date 1772 and initials A A under a T. North
return with a mid C20 extension in which has been re-set an
original entrance: C20 replica door; C17 surround with wave
and ovolo-moulded jambs and lintel, the mouldings separated by
a keel; base stops with triple fluting, a floriated bar and an
acanthus leaf-stop. Above is the date 1644 in a strapwork
field.
INTERIOR: first and second floors contiguous with No.26 (qv)
to south. Late C18 stick-baluster staircase with a turned and
reeded lower newel and plain turned upper newels.
Ground floor: front and rear rooms with bridging beams bearing
double ovolo mouldings. One in each of the two rear rooms have


fluted stops. Remains of mid C17 small-frame panelling to
ground floor.
First floor: rear south room with complete mid C17
small-framed panelling except for large-framed panelling added
late C18 to overmantel. All 3 rear rooms with bridging beams
with double roll mouldings. Front room altered C20. Roof of
front range of principals, 2 tiers of taper-tenoned butt
purlins, and arched windbraces to west side. Rear roof of 5
bays of upper crucks, surviving only to east side. Door into
this roof is mid C17, hung on 2 peg and strap hinges and
within a chamfered surround.

Listing NGR: TG5243807190

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


GREAT YARMOUTH

TG5207SW SOUTH QUAY
839-1/15/178 (North East side)
27/06/53 No.25

GV II*

Marked 'Surgery' on OS map.
House dated 1644, partly remodelled late C18 (probably 1772),
converted to offices C20. Red brick with decorative burnt
headers. Slate to front roof, pantiled to rear roof, slate in
valley between. 2 parallel ranges.
EXTERIOR: facade of 3 storeys in 4 irregular bays. 5-window
range in all. Rendered and colourwashed ground floor with a
6-panelled door set left of centre. Doorcase has a pair of
engaged fluted columns supporting block entablatures, between
which is a reeded frieze. One C20 horned sash to left and 2 to
right, none with glazing bars. Upper floors have brick laid in
Flemish bond and a zig-zag pattern of burnt headers. Four C20
sashes to each floor without glazing bars, all with rendered
surrounds. A small additional sash is to right of first floor.
Modillion eaves cornice below a gabled roof. Internal
gable-end stacks to north and south. Rebuilt south gable head.
South gable with an C18 sliding 4/4 sash and a mid C17 2-light
mullioned window. Rear block is a separate parallel range in 2
storeys and dormer attic. Originally the elevation had a
central door with a wide mullioned window right and left to
each floor, all 4 under moulded brick pediments. Pediments
remain but the C17 windows replaced with pairs of 2/2 horned
sashes. Panelled door under a C20 gabled porch hood. Above is
a date plaque with coat of arms and date 1644 with initials G
and S surmounted by an E. Brick has diaper patterns of burnt
headers and an irregular bond. Ovolo-moulded eaves cornice.
Gabled roof with a sloping C20 dormer and internal gable-end
stacks right and left. To left is a lead water hopper and
down-pipe with the date 1772 and initials A A under a T. North
return with a mid C20 extension in which has been re-set an
original entrance: C20 replica door; C17 surround with wave
and ovolo-moulded jambs and lintel, the mouldings separated by
a keel; base stops with triple fluting, a floriated bar and an
acanthus leaf-stop. Above is the date 1644 in a strapwork
field.
INTERIOR: first and second floors contiguous with No.26 (qv)
to south. Late C18 stick-baluster staircase with a turned and
reeded lower newel and plain turned upper newels.
Ground floor: front and rear rooms with bridging beams bearing
double ovolo mouldings. One in each of the two rear rooms have
fluted stops. Remains of mid C17 small-frame panelling to
ground floor.
First floor: rear south room with complete mid C17
small-framed panelling except for large-framed panelling added
late C18 to overmantel. All 3 rear rooms with bridging beams
with double roll mouldings. Front room altered C20. Roof of
front range of principals, 2 tiers of taper-tenoned butt
purlins, and arched windbraces to west side. Rear roof of 5
bays of upper crucks, surviving only to east side. Door into
this roof is mid C17, hung on 2 peg and strap hinges and
within a chamfered surround.

Listing NGR: TG5242607188

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.