This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6004 / 52°36'1"N
Longitude: 1.7241 / 1°43'26"E
OS Eastings: 652281
OS Northings: 306806
OS Grid: TG522068
Mapcode National: GBR YQY.YH6
Mapcode Global: WHNVZ.GW6T
Plus Code: 9F43JP2F+5J
Entry Name: 244, Southtown Road
Listing Date: 5 August 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245810
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468636
Location: Southtown and Cobholm, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR31
Electoral Ward/Division: Southtown and Cobholm
Built-Up Area: Great Yarmouth
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Great Yarmouth
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
839-1/18/235 SOUTHTOWN ROAD
05-AUG-74 SOUTHTOWN AND GORLESTON
Storekeeper's house to naval arsenal of 1806 by James Wyatt, forming south lodge to the complex. Now commercial offices. Red brick under a roof of graded Cumberland slate. 2 storeys; 2-window range. 2 bays to west, 3 to east facades. The west front has 2 tripartite sashes with 6/6 and 2/2 unhorned sashes under segmental relieving arches. Above are two 3/6 unhorned Sashes under gauged skewback arches. Gault brick eaves courses beneath a deep projecting cornice with modillions which is continuous round the building and is elaborated at the north and south gables into pediments. Gabled roof with internal gable-end stacks, each with multiple flues with star tops. East side with a half-glazed door under a plain fanlight flanked by a C20 6/6 horned sash right and left with gauged skewback arches. First floor with three 3/6 sashes, that to left with horns, under gauged skewback arches. North gable with 3 blind windows to each floor.
INTERIOR: two principal rooms on W front with two smaller rear rooms flanking central entrance and stair hall. Original joinery including panelled doors and moulded architraves. Closed-string staircase with stick balusters and column newel.
HISTORY: Shown as a storekeeper's house on plan of 1810. The Lodges, Barrack Block, Armoury and Workshop survive from the original Board of Ordnance store of 1806-c1815, built to serve the fleet anchored in Yarmouth Roads during the war with France from 1793 to 1815. This was originally planned with parallel ranges of storehouses extending westwards from a quay on the River Yare to enclose a working area which included a small magazine. The probable designer was James Wyatt (1746-1813), Architect to the Board of Ordnance from 1782. One of two barrack blocks survive from its conversion into Militia Barracks in the 1850s, and further alterations to the site were made after its purchase by Coleman's (the food manufacturers) in the 1890s. Some of the Napoleonic buildings, including the storehouses and magazine, were destroyed by bombing during the Second World War. There are no proposed additions or upgradings on this site, but the list descriptions need revision.
(Adam Menuge and Andrew Williams, The Royal Ordnance Store, Great Yarmouth, RCHME, 1999 (NBR No. 44260)
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings