This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.601 / 52°36'3"N
Longitude: 1.7244 / 1°43'27"E
OS Eastings: 652303
OS Northings: 306872
OS Grid: TG523068
Mapcode National: GBR YQY.YLW
Mapcode Global: WHNVZ.GWDC
Plus Code: 9F43JP2F+CQ
Entry Name: Workshop Range N of No. 244a
Listing Date: 5 August 1974
Last Amended: 26 February 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245811
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468637
Location: Southtown and Cobholm, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR31
Electoral Ward/Division: Southtown and Cobholm
Built-Up Area: Great Yarmouth
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Great Yarmouth
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
839-1/18/238 SOUTHTOWN ROAD
05-AUG-74 SOUTHTOWN AND GORLESTON
Workshop range N of No. 244A
(Formerly listed as:
SOUTHTOWN AND GORLESTON
244A and adjoining workshop buildings)
Militia Barracks. 1853-5. Converted to light engineering works 1971. Red brick with Welsh slate roofs. U-shaped plan round a courtyard. One storey. Two sash windows remain to north side,otherwise fenestration is of late C20 casements. Gabled roof, hipped to ends. Internal plan opened out in C20.
HISTORY: The Lodges, Barrack Block, Armoury and Workshop survive from the original Board of Ordnance store of 1806-c1815, built to serve the fleet anchored in Yarmouth Roads during the war with France from 1793 to 1815. This was originally planned with parallel ranges of storehouses extending westwards from a quay on the River Yare to enclose a working area which included a small magazine. The probable designer was James Wyatt (1746-1813), Architect to the Board of Ordnance from 1782. One of two barrack blocks survive from its conversion into Militia Barracks in the 1850s, and further alterations to the site were made after its purchase by Coleman's (the food manufacturers) in the 1890s. Some of the Napoleonic buildings, including the storehouses and magazine, were destroyed by bombing during the Second World War.
(Adam Menuge and Andrew Williams, The Royal Ordnance Store, Great Yarmouth, RCHME, 1999 (NBR No. 44260)
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings