History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

245, Southtown Road

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.6006 / 52°36'2"N

Longitude: 1.7241 / 1°43'26"E

OS Eastings: 652280

OS Northings: 306827

OS Grid: TG522068

Mapcode National: GBR YQY.YH4

Mapcode Global: WHNVZ.GW6P

Plus Code: 9F43JP2F+6J

Entry Name: 245, Southtown Road

Listing Date: 27 June 1953

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1245815

English Heritage Legacy ID: 468641

Location: Southtown and Cobholm, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR31

County: Norfolk

Electoral Ward/Division: Southtown and Cobholm

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Great Yarmouth

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Great Yarmouth

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in


839-1/18/240 SOUTHTOWN ROAD
(East side)


North Lodge to former naval arsenal, shown as 'Clerk of the Cheques' House' in 1810 and built in a matching style to No. 244 (qv). 1806-10, by James Wyatt for the Ordnance Board. Altered probably in 1891 when site relinquished by Admiralty for commercial use. Red brick. Slate roofs, the west slope of graded Cumberland slate, otherwise Welsh. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 2-window range. Plan is of a 2-bay block facing the road with a 3-bay wing extending east behind at right angles. This wing is a late C19 addition. West front with 2 late C19 tripartite horned sashes to ground floor and 2 plain horned sashes to first floor, all without glazing bars. Gault brick eaves course. Deep modillion eaves cornice below gabled roof. Rebuilt internal gable-end stacks north and south. Rebated entrance door in south gable under a round arch. One blind window each floor left and 3 horned sashes without glazing bars to remainder of gable. Gault brick eaves cornice continues under a deep modillion pedimented gable-end. Three 1/1 horned sashes under gauged skewback arches to each floor of the rear wing. 2 multiply-flued ridge stacks with star tops.
INTERIOR: main ground-floor rooms with 6-panelled doors and reveals. Late C19 open-string staircase with 2 square tapered balusters per tread, turned newels and moulded handrails.
HISTORY: The Lodges, Barrack Block, Armoury and Workshop survive from the original Board of Ordnance store of 1806-c1815, built to serve the fleet anchored in Yarmouth Roads during the war with France from 1793 to 1815. This was originally planned with parallel ranges of storehouses extending westwards from a quay on the River Yare to enclose a working area which included a small magazine. The probable designer was James Wyatt (1746-1813), Architect to the Board of Ordnance from 1782. One of two barrack blocks survive from its conversion into Militia Barracks in the 1850s, and further alterations to the site were made after its purchase by Coleman's (the food manufacturers) in the 1890s. Some of the Napoleonic buildings, including the storehouses and magazine, were destroyed by bombing during the Second World War.

(Adam Menuge and Andrew Williams, The Royal Ordnance Store, Great Yarmouth, RCHME, 1999 (NBR No. 44260)

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.