History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Workshop Range N of No. 244a

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.601 / 52°36'3"N

Longitude: 1.7244 / 1°43'27"E

OS Eastings: 652303

OS Northings: 306872

OS Grid: TG523068

Mapcode National: GBR YQY.YLW

Mapcode Global: WHNVZ.GWDC

Entry Name: Workshop Range N of No. 244a

Listing Date: 5 August 1974

Last Amended: 26 February 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1245811

English Heritage Legacy ID: 468637

Location: Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR31

County: Norfolk

District: Great Yarmouth

Town: Great Yarmouth

Electoral Ward/Division: Southtown and Cobholm

Built-Up Area: Great Yarmouth

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Great Yarmouth

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Gorleston-on-Sea

Listing Text


839-1/18/238 SOUTHTOWN ROAD
05-AUG-74 SOUTHTOWN AND GORLESTON
(East side)
Workshop range N of No. 244A

(Formerly listed as:
SOUTHTOWN ROAD
SOUTHTOWN AND GORLESTON
244A and adjoining workshop buildings)

GV II

Militia Barracks. 1853-5. Converted to light engineering works 1971. Red brick with Welsh slate roofs. U-shaped plan round a courtyard. One storey. Two sash windows remain to north side,otherwise fenestration is of late C20 casements. Gabled roof, hipped to ends. Internal plan opened out in C20.
HISTORY: The Lodges, Barrack Block, Armoury and Workshop survive from the original Board of Ordnance store of 1806-c1815, built to serve the fleet anchored in Yarmouth Roads during the war with France from 1793 to 1815. This was originally planned with parallel ranges of storehouses extending westwards from a quay on the River Yare to enclose a working area which included a small magazine. The probable designer was James Wyatt (1746-1813), Architect to the Board of Ordnance from 1782. One of two barrack blocks survive from its conversion into Militia Barracks in the 1850s, and further alterations to the site were made after its purchase by Coleman's (the food manufacturers) in the 1890s. Some of the Napoleonic buildings, including the storehouses and magazine, were destroyed by bombing during the Second World War.

(Adam Menuge and Andrew Williams, The Royal Ordnance Store, Great Yarmouth, RCHME, 1999 (NBR No. 44260)

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.