This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5466 / 51°32'47"N
Longitude: -0.1524 / 0°9'8"W
OS Eastings: 528210
OS Northings: 184693
OS Grid: TQ282846
Mapcode National: GBR DW.87Z
Mapcode Global: VHGQS.9DS7
Entry Name: Church of St Silas the Martyr
Listing Date: 10 June 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245853
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477957
Location: Camden, London, NW5
Electoral Ward/Division: Haverstock
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Silas the Martyr with Holy Trinity Kentish Town
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2884NW ST SILAS PLACE
798-1/53/1525 Church of St Silas the Martyr
Church. 1911-13. By Ernest Charles Shearman. Purple-brown
Fletton brick with stone dressings, tiled roof. 4-bay aisled
nave with clerestory, transepts and apsidal chancel in
stripped Gothic style.
EXTERIOR: west end mostly blind with bellcote and inset stone
cross flanked by narrow lancets flanked by small flying
buttresses. North and south facades, single and 3-light
trefoil-headed lancet clerestory windows. Each gabled transept
with 3 similar windows, the main entrance being in the south
transept. Chancel with brick pilaster strips and Lombard
frieze, alternate bays having pointed lancets linked by a
continuous stone string. South entrance porch with inscription
on parapet, flanking corbel figures of knights with armorial
shields, standing statue of St Silas to left, stone
crucifixion to right with inscribed plinth erected as war
memorial. Projecting chapel of St Francis on (liturgical)
south side added 1913.
INTERIOR: with passage aisles, a chapel on the south side, a
small chapel opening on the north from a narrow ambulatory.
Tall chancel with open timber roof above prominent
baldacchino, enriched with neo-Gothic carvings of Christ in
Majesty, designed by Shearman and executed by Messrs. Burns
and Oates. Crucifix of 1922 by the Art and Book Company within
baldacchino originally placed above canopy. Altar candlesticks
and sanctuary lamp also designed by Shearman. Sanctuary
flanked by wooden statues of SS Silas and Peter, 1917. Narrow
ambulatory arched over with lancets, leading to former mission
church of 1884 (altered). Lady Chapel in south-east angle of
church, St Thomas's Chapel to north of altar with painted
reredos by Victoria Somerville. Spacious nave with organ loft
at west end; organ by Bishop and Son, 1914.
HISTORICAL NOTE: a mission church was founded in this
heathenish patch of Kentish Town in 1884, capable of seating
150. An American, Howard Henry Paul, left »7,000 in 1902 for
the building of a proper church; delays over his will meant
that work could not begin until 1911, by which time his legacy
had shrunk to »4,000. The church has always been High Anglican
in tradition, following the ideals of its founder, the Revd G
Napier Whittingham. St Silas is Shearman's first and most
important church, where he established his characteristically
severe brand of brick Gothic and elegant sense of space.
(Survey of London: Vol. XXIV, King's Cross Neighbourhood:
London: -1952: 145).
Listing NGR: TQ2821084693
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings