This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5461 / 51°32'45"N
Longitude: -0.1511 / 0°9'3"W
OS Eastings: 528303
OS Northings: 184640
OS Grid: TQ283846
Mapcode National: GBR DW.8L1
Mapcode Global: VHGQS.BDHM
Plus Code: 9C3XGRWX+CH
Entry Name: The Fiddlers Elbow Public House
Listing Date: 19 February 2004
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390791
English Heritage Legacy ID: 491618
Location: Haverstock, Camden, London, NW5
Electoral Ward/Division: Haverstock
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Silas the Martyr with Holy Trinity Kentish Town
Church of England Diocese: London
798-1/0/10249 MALDEN ROAD
The Fiddlers Elbow Public House
Public House. Circa 1845. Designer Unknown. Yellow stock brick with extensive stone and rendered dressings; roof not visible. Three storeys with lower side extensions.
EXTERIOR: Main part of the building comprises a five-sided drum with projecting rear. The ground floor is rendered, with rustication to the corner and pilasters flanking the doors; the window glass is modern, and not of special interest. Dentil cornice over frieze at first floor level. First floor windows are 6/6-pane sashes, with gauged arches above. Plat band at second floor level. Second floor windows are 3/3-pane sashes, also with gauged arches; above is a deep frieze, dentil cornice and parapet; two chimneystacks with moulded caps crown the main front.
INTERIOR: ground floor only inspected. This has undergone alterations, but retains some behind-bar features, including a run of Corinthian colonnettes, as well as Corinthian columns to the main bar, a pair of moulded brackets, a depressed arch to the left of the bar flanked by lotus leaf pilasters. Upper floors not inspected.
HISTORY: this pub was formerly known as the Old Mother Shipton. It stands on a prominent corner site, which it turns very effectively by the use of a drum forming the upper floors. Despite some internal alteration it remains a good example of an early Victorian public house.
Other nearby listed buildings