This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6075 / 52°36'27"N
Longitude: 1.7333 / 1°44'0"E
OS Eastings: 652869
OS Northings: 307629
OS Grid: TG528076
Mapcode National: GBR YQZ.F1S
Mapcode Global: WHNVZ.LQMC
Plus Code: 9F43JP5M+28
Entry Name: Presbytery adjoining west of Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 9 December 1976
Last Amended: 26 February 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245911
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468598
Location: Nelson, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR30
Electoral Ward/Division: Nelson
Built-Up Area: Great Yarmouth
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Great Yarmouth
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
REGENT ROAD (S)
Presbytery adjoining west of Church of St Mary
A church presbytery of 1848-50 by JJ Scoles.
The presbytery is constructed of knapped Quaternary and Quarry flint with Lincolnshire Limestone dressings under slate roofs.
Rectangular in plan, of three storeys.
The slightly asymmetrical façade has a projecting bay to the right and a ground floor bay window with parapet to the left. Two projecting gablets on the second floor to the north were added later. All windows are casements with stone surrounds and moulded mullions and are of two or three lights with cusped ogee heads. The rear elevation has a projecting stair turret and added dormer. To the east, a single storey link of knapped flint joins the presbytery with the Church of St Mary to the west.
A very plain interior with a simple staircase and few historic fixtures and fittings remaining
In 1824, before the Catholic Emancipation Act of 1829, the Jesuits started a mission in Great Yarmouth under Father Tate. Tate had purchased a house and warehouse in the old town for Catholic worship, but by 1841 the congregation had outgrown this accommodation and the new priest, Father Lopez, purchased land outside of the town on which the Jesuits would build St Mary's. Built at a cost of £10,000, the Jesuits under the patronage of Father Lythgoe commissioned one of their favoured architects, Joseph John Scoles (1798-1863), to design and build the church and adjoining presbytery. Scoles had married into a Great Yarmouth family and designed a number of buildings in the town including St Peter's Anglican Church (later St Spiridion's Greek Orthodox Church) and Britannia Terrace, Marine Parade, both listed at Grade II.
A third storey with gablets was added to the presbytery in the late C19 or early C20. Other extensions have been added to the rear. The interior has been remodelled on the ground floor and many of the historic fixtures and fittings removed.
Martin, Christopher 'A Glimpse of heaven, Catholic Churches of England and Wales' English Heritage, rev.2009.
Pevsner, N and Wilson, B 'The Buildings of England: Norfolk 1 Norwich and the North-East' 2nd Ed 1997 pp 488-529
www.pastscape.org.uk, accessed 21st August 2009.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION
The presbytery attached to St Mary's Church, Regent Road, Great Yarmouth is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architecture: It has aesthetic merit in its design by the noted architect JJ Scoles, is of good craftsmanship and constructed with quality materials.
* Group Value: It has considerable group value with the attached contemporary Church of St Mary to the west, also by Scoles.
Other nearby listed buildings