This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0174 / 53°1'2"N
Longitude: -2.1665 / 2°9'59"W
OS Eastings: 388924
OS Northings: 346687
OS Grid: SJ889466
Mapcode National: GBR MND.KW
Mapcode Global: WHBCT.PFJ5
Plus Code: 9C5V2R8M+W9
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 20 October 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245925
English Heritage Legacy ID: 487733
Location: Joiner's Square, Stoke-on-Trent, ST1
Electoral Ward/Division: Joiner's Square
Built-Up Area: Stoke-on-Trent
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Stoke upon Trent and Fenton
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ84NE LEEK ROAD
20-OCT-00 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
Church. 1910-13, by Gerald Horsley. Gothic Revival style. Red brick, with ashlar dressings and plain tile roof with coped gables. Chancel with organ chamber, north chapel and vestry, nave with arcades and clerestorey, north aisle. Windows are mainly pointed arched lancets with stone mullions.
Chancel, 2 bays, has east gable with slightly projecting centre and slightly splayed flank walls. 5- light east window with intersecting tracery. South side has a 2-light window. To west, lean-to organ chamber with flat headed 2-light window. Lean-to north chapel hs a 3-light east window with a flat-headed 3-light window below it. Gabled vestry has a 3-light flat headed window to east, and 2 similar windows and a single light window to north. Nave, 4 bays, has buttresses. South side has pointed arched west door with hood mould, and to east, 3 plain triple lancets, all set in blind arches. Clerestorey has 4-light flat headed windows on each side. West gable has an octagonal ashlar external pulpit under a canopy, and above, a traceried 3-light window with hood mould. North aisle has three flat headed windows, 3 lights. West end has principal entrance, with rusticated Tudor arched doorway, traceried tympanum and spandrels. On each side, a flat headed 2-light window with tracery. These and the doorway are under a common label mould. Above, an inscribed panel, and over it, a traceried flat headed niche containing a figure.
INTERIOR: Exposed brickwork with ashlar dressings. Chancel has moulded arch with simple responds, and cross formed in brickwork above. Wooden wagon vault. East end has chamfered brick surround to World War I memorial stained glass window, with triptych on the same theme below. North side has segment arched opening to north chapel, with octagonal columns and incised tympanum. Pointed arched doorway to east. South side has segment arched door with window above, and chamfered pointed arched organ opening to west.
North chapel has double chamfered pointed arch with imposts, and wooden wagon vault. Stained glass east window. North side has segmental pointed arch to blank recess. Vestry has double sedilia with central shaft.
Nave has pointed arched wooden vault. North arcade, early C14 style, has octagonal piers with moulded capitals, and double chamfered arches with hood moulds and uncarved stops. South side has blind arcade with brick piers and arches, with doorway to west.
North aisle has open truss roof. West end has canted wooden internal porch, part glazed.
FITTINGS: Canted ashlar pulpit with inscription, integral with chancel screen wall. 'Octagonal ashlar pulpit with traceried panel, on round stem with flanking Purbeck marble shafts and foliage capitals. Plain wooden benches.
MEMORIALS: No significant memorials.
Listing NGR: SJ8892446687
Other nearby listed buildings