This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5253 / 51°31'30"N
Longitude: -0.3203 / 0°19'12"W
OS Eastings: 516626
OS Northings: 182043
OS Grid: TQ166820
Mapcode National: GBR 71.MXM
Mapcode Global: VHGQP.DXKL
Entry Name: The Kent Hotel
Listing Date: 23 December 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246021
English Heritage Legacy ID: 472050
Location: Ealing, London, W13
Electoral Ward/Division: Cleveland
Built-Up Area: Ealing
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Barnabas Ealing
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 18 SE SCOTCH COMMON
The Kent Hotel
Public House. 1929 by Nowell Parr, extended to rear 1934 by Hall Jones and Partners to Parr's design. Red brick; machine tile roofs. EXTERIOR: south elevation of 2 storeys and dormer attic; 3-window range. Symmetrical main block with projecting central section with 3 attic gables. Recessed doorways to right and left, that to left (west) under moulded flat hood on scrolled consoles leading to saloon bar. Right doorway into public bar within open porch on single brick corner pier. Central half-glazed double doors to private bar flanked by 2-light leaded metal casements either side with stained glass and glazing bars. One 6-light casement of similar design between side doors and central doorway. Continuous timber fascia above windows. First floor with central canted bay window fitted with 4 leaded metal casements, and one 3-light window right and left. Central attic gable projects on scrolled brackets: one single-light casement. Outer gables each with one 2-light casement. 2 stacks on front roof slope. Single-storey gabled west extension with a tripartite bay window with leaded glazing and a half-glazed door to the left, under an overlight. Rear with hipped 2-storey block fitted with 3-light leaded cross casements to first floor and a central ridge stack. Ground floor obscured by single-storey covered terrace added 1934: rebuilt central external staircase to garden rises to 2 double-leaf glazed doors in short extension with glazed doors in returns. Main wall with one 2-light cross casement right and left. Twin-flight external staircases right and left, of 1929, led originally to open terrace. That to west serves part of original terrace. That to east rises to double glazed doors with a 2-light leaded casement to its left. INTERIOR: 3 front bars each with high dado panelling, timber chimneypieces with cast-iron inserts, bench seating, panelled bridging beams and remote winder window openers. 6-panelled doors open from private bar into the others. Curved panelled bar counter serves all three bars. Rear bar in 2 parts. South part is former dining room: panelled bridging beams and small-framed dado panelling. Elaborate carved timber chimneypiece in east wall with carved overmantel mirror and cast-iron fire insert. West wall with 3 six-panelled doors serving cloakrooms and private entrance lobby. North wall broken through in 1934 into north part, the ceiling supported on 3 steel piers. Panelled bridging beams. 2 domed glazed roof lights with glazing bars set in geometric patterns with coloured glass.
Listing NGR: TQ1662682043
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings