History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Jj Murphy and Sons Limited

A Grade II Listed Building in Nottingham, Nottingham

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.9813 / 52°58'52"N

Longitude: -1.1824 / 1°10'56"W

OS Eastings: 454993

OS Northings: 342972

OS Grid: SK549429

Mapcode National: GBR LGC.2F

Mapcode Global: WHDGR.TB4B

Plus Code: 9C4WXRJ9+G3

Entry Name: Jj Murphy and Sons Limited

Listing Date: 24 November 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1246246

English Heritage Legacy ID: 454754

Location: Basford, Nottingham, NG6

County: Nottingham

Electoral Ward/Division: Basford

Built-Up Area: Nottingham

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: St Leodegarius and St Aidan Basford

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in



646-1/4/4 (North East side)
24/11/86 JJ Murphy & Sons Ltd


Formerly known as: Hutchinson's Prince of Wales Brewery ALPINE
Brewery, later chemical factory. 1881. Red brick, with
terracotta and ashlar dressings. Plain tile roofs with ornate
ridge tiles and finials. Blue brick chamfered plinth, major
cornice and eaves cornice. Windows are mainly segment-arched
casements with glazing bars, renewed.
EXTERIOR: main front 10 bays, arranged 3:4:3. Central brewing
tower, 5 storeys, has a central round-arched cart entrance, 2
storeys. Moulded arch, imposts and bracket keystone, carrying
a cornice with matching brackets at the ends. On each side,
single windows, linked to those above by recessed panels with
segmental heads and keystones. Above, 4 windows, and above
again, 4 windows with segmental heads and keystones. Above
again, a central round-headed window with terracotta surround,
set in an ornate gable. On each side, smaller windows. Hipped
roof topped by a square louvred lantern with leaded ogee roof.
To left, a slightly lower block, 5 storeys, with 2 pairs of
segment-headed windows to the ground floor and above, 3 larger
windows, all with keystones. Above again, 3 windows, and above
them, 3 windows divided by stone mullions into cross
casements, with pediments. Above again, 3 flat-headed windows,
3-lights. Hipped roof topped with a square louvred ventilator
with a small louvred gable. At the rear, a 4 storey range with
half-hipped roof, and in the return angle, an ornate wooden
hoist tower. To left again, a single storey block with 2 pairs
of segment-arched windows. Hipped roof with square louvred
To right, engine house, 2 storeys, with hipped roof topped by
a square louvred lantern. 2 bays to right, under a pediment,
have flat-headed windows to the ground floor and above,
segment-arched windows with keystones. Single bay to left with
similar fenestration. To right, a chimney stack with square
base, 2 storeys, with blind panels topped by moulded imposts
and round arches with keystones. Above, a tall octagonal
chimney with moulded base and iron reinforcing straps.
INTERIOR retains the original brewery layout, though almost
none of the original brewery fittings survives.
Originally Hutchinson's Prince of Wales Brewery, bought by the
Home Brewery Co. Ltd in 1916, and to Murphy's Ltd. in 1921.

Listing NGR: SK5499342972

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.