This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9517 / 52°57'6"N
Longitude: -1.1434 / 1°8'36"W
OS Eastings: 457647
OS Northings: 339711
OS Grid: SK576397
Mapcode National: GBR LQQ.L1
Mapcode Global: WHDGZ.D2RH
Plus Code: 9C4WXV24+MJ
Entry Name: Birkin Building
Listing Date: 12 July 1972
Last Amended: 30 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246290
English Heritage Legacy ID: 454867
Location: Nottingham, NG1
County: City of Nottingham
Electoral Ward/Division: Bridge
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Nottingham St Peter with St James
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
646-1/21/59 (South side)
12/07/72 Birkin Building
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos 2-6 (even) and Warehouse
occupied by John Lees & Co.)
Lace warehouse, now club and offices. Dated 1855. By TC Hine
of Nottingham for Richard Birkin, lace manufacturer. Built by
Garland & Holland. Restored and converted c1987. Red brick,
with ashlar ground floor and dressings. Roof not visible
behind rendered coped parapet. Italianate style.
EXTERIOR: plinth, ground floor cornice, string course, eaves
cornice. 4 storeys; 8 x 3 windows. L-plan, following the curve
of the street. Windows are mainly original round-arched lights
with stone mullions, glazing bars and hood moulds. Ground
floor windows have moulded surrounds and aprons.
Main entrance front, facing east, has a central projecting
entrance bay with a canted tower porch, 3 storeys, with double
doors. Above, bay windows, 3 lights. Above again, a double
window. On each side, single windows on each floor. To right a
rounded corner, single windows, and to left, a rounded concave
corner with 2 windows.
Left return, facing north, has to left an entrance bay with a
central segment-arched cart entrance with an inscribed ribbon
above it. Above, triple windows on each floor. Under the arch,
a reset 2-light window, C12, from St Mary's Church, and a
plaque with the Plumptre arms. On each side, canted bay
windows, 3 storeys, 3 lights, the left one with a shouldered
double doorway and shafts. Above them, double windows. To
right, a range with regular fenestration, 5 windows.
INTERIOR: refitted c1987, has cast-iron columns to wooden
This building stands on the site of Plumptre House, 1730, by
Colen Campbell, demolished 1853. A major example of Hine's
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
1979-: 218; Get to know Nottingham: Brand K: Thomas Chambers
Hine; an architect of Victorian Nottingham: Nottingham:
Listing NGR: SK5764739711
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings