This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9546 / 52°57'16"N
Longitude: -1.1385 / 1°8'18"W
OS Eastings: 457971
OS Northings: 340037
OS Grid: SK579400
Mapcode National: GBR LRP.N0
Mapcode Global: WHDGS.HZ2T
Entry Name: Town Mission Ragged School and Attached Boundary Wall and Railings
Listing Date: 28 March 1983
Last Amended: 30 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246292
English Heritage Legacy ID: 454869
Location: Nottingham, NG1
County: City of Nottingham
Electoral Ward/Division: St Ann's
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Nottingham St Peter with St James
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK5740SE BROOK STREET
646-1/15/61 (North East side)
28/03/83 Town Mission Ragged School and
attached boundary wall and railings
(Formerly Listed as:
The Ragged School)
Charity school, and attached boundary wall and railing. Dated
1858, with late C19 additions. Coursed rubble and rock-faced
stone, with red, white and blue brick dressings and
diaper-patterned tile roofs.
Plinth, coped gables. Windows are mainly round-arched, with
wooden mullions and transoms and polychrome brick heads.
Single schoolroom range with rear wings and additions, forming
Main range, single storey, 4 bays, has 4 large gabled dormers
with round-arched windows. Between the outer windows,
shouldered external brick stacks. Above, 4 gablet ventilators.
In each gable, a large window. At each end, small projections,
single bay, with boarded windows. Left addition is roofless.
To right, a larger projecting addition, with a flat-headed
Right return has, towards the rear, 2 gables, each with a
round-arched window. Between them, a shouldered stack,
corbelled out. The right one has a ribbon inscribed "Town
Mission Ragged School 1858". Left return has a small gabled
projection with 2 windows.
Outside, across the front of the classroom range, attached
boundary and retaining wall, coursed rubble, topped with a
spiked railing. At the right corner, a pair of square ashlar
gate piers with pyramidal caps and renewed wooden gates. Short
length of wall and railing to right return.
Building vacant at time of survey.
Listing NGR: SK5797140037
Other nearby listed buildings