This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9536 / 52°57'12"N
Longitude: -1.1357 / 1°8'8"W
OS Eastings: 458163
OS Northings: 339927
OS Grid: SK581399
Mapcode National: GBR LSP.8C
Mapcode Global: WHDGZ.J1D1
Plus Code: 9C4WXV37+CP
Entry Name: Church of St Alban
Listing Date: 12 July 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246260
English Heritage Legacy ID: 454791
Location: St. Ann's, Nottingham, NG2
Electoral Ward/Division: St Ann's
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Sneinton St Stephen with St Matthias
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK53NE BOND STREET, Sneinton
646-1/7/802 (North East side)
12/07/72 Church of St Alban
Church and adjoining parish rooms and railings. 1886-87. By GF
Bodley; this design was left incomplete. Lady Chapel 1898.
Parish rooms c1900. Red brick with ashlar dressings, some
painted, with slate roofs. Gothic Revival style.
PLAN: nave and chancel, 7 bays, under continuous roof, aisles,
lady chapel, south porch.
EXTERIOR: plinth, polychrome bands, coped gables, plain
parapets to aisles. Pointed arched windows with Decorated
tracery. East end has a 5-light window flanked by 3-light
aisle windows, all set high. West end has a similar window,
4-lights. South side has four windows, 3 lights, divided by
gabled buttresses, with an off-centre gabled bell turret on
the parapet. To east, a pointed arched doorway, then the lady
chapel. North side has 5 similar windows and projecting west
bay with pointed arched door in the base of an uncompleted
tower. Over the door, a single lancet.
Lady chapel, single storey, has flat-headed windows on 3
sides, with stone surrounds and mullions. South porch has
polychrome gable with pointed arched doorway and shafts.
Parish room, single storey, has a central gable to south,
divided by buttresses and with a large Diocletian window.
Wings have eaves cornices. To left, a double door with cornice
on brackets. To right, a glazing bar window. Attached to the
west end, wrought-iron railings and gate, enclosing the south
INTERIOR: has pointed arched wooden barrel vault with moulded
ribs. Nave and chancel have similar arcades with moulded
arches and quatrefoil piers. Chancel has 3 narrower arches to
north and 2 to south, and traceried wooden screen with crest
and cross. To south-east, a segment-arched recess. East end
has a pointed arched recess with shafts, containing the window
and canopied flanking niches.
Aisles have arch braced lean-to roofs, window openings with
shafts, and wooden screens to eastern chapels. North aisle has
to west a doorway and a stone staircase with a blind-arcaded
screen. South aisle has central stained glass window, mid C20.
East chapels have stained glass windows, late C19 and early
C20. South chapel has piscina and 2 doorways into lady chapel.
Fittings include carved and painted octagonal font, panelled
square wooden pulpit, stoup and collecting box on stems, C19.
Other fittings mid and late C20.
Memorials include wooden war memorial panel, c1920.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
Listing NGR: SK5816339927
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings