This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9564 / 52°57'23"N
Longitude: -1.1507 / 1°9'2"W
OS Eastings: 457154
OS Northings: 340230
OS Grid: SK571402
Mapcode National: GBR LNN.ZB
Mapcode Global: WHDGS.9Y9F
Plus Code: 9C4WXR4X+HP
Entry Name: Guildhall and Associated Caves
Listing Date: 12 July 1972
Last Amended: 30 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246296
English Heritage Legacy ID: 454873
Location: Nottingham, NG1
County: City of Nottingham
Electoral Ward/Division: St Ann's
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Nottingham St Peter with St James
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK5740SW BURTON STREET
646-1/14/65 (North side)
12/07/72 Guildhall and associated caves
(Formerly Listed as:
City guildhall, now housing city offices and magistrates'
courts, and associated caves. 1887-88. By Verity & Hunt of
London. Altered mid C20. Darley Dale ashlar and brick, with
Westmorland slate roofs and corniced ridge stacks. French
Renaissance Revival style.
EXTERIOR: rusticated ground floor, dentillated main cornice,
eaves cornice and parapet with pedestals. Windows are plain
sashes and casements, mainly with stone mullions. 2 storeys
plus basement and attics; 5 x 5 bays. Corner site with main
entrance and return fronts.
Entrance front has a projecting centre, and projecting end
pavilions with pyramidal roofs. Portico, 3 bays, with Doric
columns, rusticated piers, and balustrade with pedestals.
Above, 3 tripartite windows with Ionic columns in antis, and
above again, 3 smaller tripartite windows. Central dormer with
round window, and pediment with sculpture. Side bays have 2
windows, the first floor round-arched and divided by
pilasters. Area wall with cast-iron bollards and chains.
Pavilions have tripartite windows on each floor, and
pedimented single dormers.
Left return front, similar design, has pedimented centre with
first floor Ionic portico, and 3 windows in the side bays. At
the rear, a square tower, 5 stages, with round-arched bell
openings and balustrade.
INTERIOR: largely original, has foyer with Doric columns,
segment-arched openings, and enriched cross-beam ceiling.
Central doorway flanked by double columns, with pedimented
doorcase and bust. At each end, a colonnade and steps up to a
stairwell with enriched cornices and stone cantilevered open
well stair. On the first floor, 2 courts, largely original,
with inserted ceilings. Original wall panelling and fittings
including balustraded wooden gallery for grand jury. Court 6,
much altered, has plaster wall panels and pilasters, and a
panelled round-arched recess containing the dock.
Office ranges have moulded cornices, fielded panelled doors
and corniced doorcases.
Cave system, reached by a stone open well stair, is on 2
levels. Brick lined passages and cells. Extensively modified
during World War II for use as emergency headquarters and air
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
1979-: 238; Reprint from The Mercian Geologist, Vol. 13, Sept.
1992: Waltham AC: The sandstone caves of Nottingham:
Nottingham: 1992-: 21).
Listing NGR: SK5715440230
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings