This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.7995 / 50°47'58"N
Longitude: -1.092 / 1°5'31"W
OS Eastings: 464085
OS Northings: 100382
OS Grid: SU640003
Mapcode National: GBR VQW.VH
Mapcode Global: FRA 86LZ.JDC
Plus Code: 9C2WQWX5+Q6
Entry Name: Connaught Drill Hall (Ta Centre)
Listing Date: 23 April 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246339
English Heritage Legacy ID: 487330
Location: Portsmouth, PO1
County: City of Portsmouth
Electoral Ward/Division: Charles Dickens
Built-Up Area: Portsmouth
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Portsea All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SU400SW STANHOPE ROAD
774-1/21/10017 Connaught Drill Hall (TA Centre)
Territorial Army drill hall. 1901; by A. Bone; damaged in 1941 and partly rebuilt after the Second World War. Stock brick with bands of red brick and some Portland stone dressings; red brick rebuilt front with concrete dressings. Sheet steel roof.
PLAN: Large rectangular drill hall with range of offices at the south front and on the west side, and originally with a tower on the SW corner; the tower and the south offices were destroyed in an air raid in 1941, and rebuilt after the War without the tower.
EXTERIOR: Rebuilt 2-storey embattled and curved south front, stepped back on left SW corner. The 2 and 3-storey range on west side breaks forwards on right, has embattled parapet, tall sash windows with glazing bars and stone lintels and cills; first floor corbelled out to right and with round corner turret on left NW corner with arrow-loop and corbelled castellation. Rear, north gable of drill hall has corbelled verges, large 4-light Diocletian window and splayed left NE corner with stepped parapet. East side of drill hall has six very tall segmental-headed windows with replaced glazing, the shorter second window from left has segmental arch doorway below with stepped string course above.
INTERIOR: Large drill hall with 7-bay arched braced-girder steel roof, the spandrels of the trusses filled with circles, braced-girder purlins, truss posts inscribed 'H. Handyside and Co. Ltd., Derby and London'; galleries on south and west sides of hall on iron brackets and with iron balustrades. Offices on south and west sides, one on first floor of west side has cable-moulding to dado.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings