This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3932 / 53°23'35"N
Longitude: -1.4638 / 1°27'49"W
OS Eastings: 435754
OS Northings: 388620
OS Grid: SK357886
Mapcode National: GBR 9JF.PF
Mapcode Global: WHDDH.HZ52
Plus Code: 9C5W9GVP+7F
Entry Name: Seventh Day Adventist Church Adjoining School and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 28 June 1973
Last Amended: 12 December 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246453
English Heritage Legacy ID: 455118
Location: Sheffield, S3
Electoral Ward/Division: Burngreave
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Pitsmoor Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK38NE ANDOVER STREET
784-1/6/16 (South side)
28/06/73 Seventh Day Adventist Church,
adjoining school and boundary wall
(Formerly Listed as:
Andover Street Methodist Church)
Methodist church, now Seventh Day Adventist church, and
adjoining school and boundary wall. Church and boundary wall
1865. By William Hill of Leeds. For the Methodist New
Connexion. School dated 1862. Rock-faced stone with ashlar
dressings and steep pitched gabled and hipped slate roofs with
coped gables. Gothic Revival style.
PLAN: vestigial chancel, vestries, transepts, nave with
galleries, crypts, south-west tower, north-west porch.
EXTERIOR: windowless chancel has hipped roof and to north, a
corridor with lower pitched hipped roof.
Transepts have flanking buttresses and 3 single lancets with
linked hoodmoulds. Above, plate traceried round window. Crypt,
to south, has 3 windows. To east and west, a single window on
each floor, the upper ones lancets. North transept lower
window covered by school.
Buttressed nave, 3 bays, has on each side 3 double windows and
above, 3 double lancets. West end has a tall 3-light pointed
arched window with tracery, flanked by single lancets, with
linked hoodmoulds. Above, a crosslet. Below, a pointed arched
double doorway with central shaft, under a shallow gable, and
flanked by small single lancets.
Square south-west tower, 3 stages, has string courses and
octagonal broach spire with 4 steeply hipped lucarnes, finial
and weathercock. Ground stage has a triple lancet to west,
with hoodmould, and a small light to south. Second stage has a
cusped single lancet on 3 sides. Tapered bell stage has
panelled sides with dentilled heads and a 2-light pointed
arched bell opening with plate tracery to each face.
2 storey north-west porch has hipped roof. Plain triple lancet
to north and west. Chamfered doorway to north, with hoodmould,
and single lancet to west.
Adjoining school has brick dressings and a gable stack. Single
storey; 5 window range. Larger central block has a
round-arched recess with fanlight, containing C20 door. On
either side, a round-arched glazing bar window. Beyond, lower
set back wings, the left with 2 casements, the right with a
single 3-light casement, both C20.
INTERIOR: largely original with moulded pointed arched opening
to east, containing panelled choir gallery and Gothic organ
case. Below, panelled square pulpit with wooden balustraded
railing. Nave has gallery on 3 sides with openwork front and
canted corners, carried on round cast-iron posts with wooden
brackets. Arch braced roof with wooden ribs at the crossing.
Transepts have glazed wooden screens. On either side, 3
windows and a door. At the rear, late C20 wooden enclosure.
West porch and tower have stone winder stairs. Fittings
include panelled softwood benches.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: outside, adjoining boundary wall, raised
mid C20, with stepped chamfered coping. At the rounded
north-west corner, a pair of square ashlar gate piers with
pyramidal caps and wrought-iron gates. On the north and south
sides, similar piers with smaller gates.
(Researches by G Hague, Sheffield City Council).
Listing NGR: SK3575488620
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings