This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.394 / 53°23'38"N
Longitude: -1.4678 / 1°28'3"W
OS Eastings: 435490
OS Northings: 388710
OS Grid: SK354887
Mapcode National: GBR 9HF.V4
Mapcode Global: WHDDH.FY9F
Entry Name: Pye Bank School with Caretakers House and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 12 December 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1271353
English Heritage Legacy ID: 455117
Location: Sheffield, S3
Electoral Ward/Division: Burngreave
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Pitsmoor Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK38NE ANDOVER STREET
784-1/6/15 (North side)
Pye Bank School with caretaker's
house and boundary wall
Board school with attached caretaker's house and boundary
wall. School 1875, by Innocent & Brown for the Sheffield
School Board. Extended 1884 by CJ Innocent. Caretaker's house
1877. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings and gabled
and hipped slate roofs with decorative ridge tiles and various
stacks. Gothic Revival style. T-plan.
EXTERIOR: plinth and first floor sillband. 2 storeys. Main
block has sillbands to each floor, ground floor impost band,
coped gables and a shouldered gable stack with 2 octagonal
shafts and unusual ogee shaped pots, with a ventilation louvre
between them. Projecting centre has flanking gabled buttresses
and gable with finial. Inscribed and dated band between
floors. On the first floor, pointed arched recess containing 2
smaller recesses divided by a shaft, each with a shouldered
and transomed double lancet. Above, a central quatrefoil with
relief carving. Ground floor has a 4 bay pointed arched arcade
with a central buttress, and the outer bays divided by shafts.
In each bay, a 2-light window with stone mullion. Below the
central windows, a blocked shouldered opening. Beyond, on
either side, an angled stair turret in the return angle with
hipped roof and a shouldered transomed window. Below, a
further canted projection with a 3-light stone mullioned
window, the right one with a small additional window below and
to the right. Beyond, on either side, 2 shouldered windows
with transoms, and below, 3 narrower cusped headed windows
with transoms. Each gable has 3 similar narrow windows, the
central one raised. Each rear corner has a buttress flanked by
open cusped archways. Hipped central block has regular
fenestration with transomed windows above and cusped headed
cross casements below. Rear block has similar fenestration
with 4 windows on each side.
Left rear cross-wing has 2 shouldered windows with transoms,
flanked to left by 2 similar smaller windows, and to right by
a through-eaves dormer with a stone mullioned cross casement,
then 2 shouldered transomed windows. Below, 7 large
round-arched windows. Right rear wing has 2 shouldered
transomed windows flanked to right by 2 smaller cross
casements and to left by a through-eaves dormer with a cross
casement. Beyond, 2 shouldered transomed windows. Below, 2
narrow windows flanked by single doors with overlights, under
a common lintel. Beyond, on either side, 2 round-arched
Caretaker's house in similar style, fronting Fox Street. 2
storeys plus attics; 2 window range. Windows are mid C20
casements. Gabled and hipped slate roofs with large rear wall
stack, coped gable and projecting rafter feet. To left, a
2-light window and to right a single light window with cusped
head, on a sillband. Above, a cross casement in the gable.
Below, a cross casement to left, and a door with overlight to
right. At the rear, an adjoining lean-to outbuilding.
Caretakers' houses of this design were added to several board
schools in 1877-78.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: boundary wall, enclosing and linking the
buildings, has ramped half-round coping. At the front, 5
sections of cast-iron railing on chamfered plinth, with square
piers and chamfered caps. On either side, a cast-iron gate
with square piers and truncated pyramidal caps. Outside the
house, 2 similar sections of railing flanked by single
gateways with renewed gates, the left one with square piers
with flat caps. Other lengths have triangular stone coping.
HISTORICAL NOTE: this school is one of a number designed by
Innocent and Brown for the Sheffield School Board, and is
amongst the earliest to be built in England after the 1870
(Innocent & Brown: Illustrations of Public Elementary Schools:
1874-; Researches by G Hague, Sheffield City Council).
Listing NGR: SK3549088710
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings