This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3968 / 53°23'48"N
Longitude: -1.4674 / 1°28'2"W
OS Eastings: 435514
OS Northings: 389018
OS Grid: SK355890
Mapcode National: GBR 9HD.Y4
Mapcode Global: WHDDH.FWH9
Entry Name: Christ Church
Listing Date: 28 June 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1271057
English Heritage Legacy ID: 456258
Location: Sheffield, S3
Electoral Ward/Division: Burngreave
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Pitsmoor Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK38NE PITSMOOR ROAD
784-1/6/600 (East side)
28/06/73 Christ Church
Parish church. 1850, with alterations and extensive additions
c1985. By Flockton & Son of Sheffield. Squared dressed stone
with ashlar dressings and slate roofs with bands of shaped
slates. Gothic Revival style.
PLAN: chancel, nave with clerestory and aisles, transepts,
vestries, porches, west tower.
EXTERIOR: buttressed throughout, with plinth, hoodmoulds to
openings and coped gables with crosses.
Single bay chancel has a lancet on each side and a 4-light
pointed arch window to east. Clerestory has 4 pairs of small
lancets each side. 4 bay aisles have two 2-light pointed arch
windows east of the porch and a similar window to west. West
ends each have a 2-light pointed arch window. Transepts have
similar 3-light windows in the gables. On the east of the
transepts, a lean-to vestry with ogee headed lancets and a
single door. Gabled west porches have moulded doorways.
4 stage west tower has angle buttresses topped with octagonal
pinnacles and spires, and to south a canted stair turret. To
west, a double chamfered doorway, and to north, 2 single
lancets. Second stage has a single lancet to north and south.
Third stage has a clock to north, and loops on the other
sides. Bell stage has a recessed moulded 2-light pointed arch
bell opening on each side.
INTERIOR: has double chamfered chancel arch with single
shafts. East end has stained glass, 1852, and Perpendicular
style wooden reredos c1900. South side has double chamfered
arch to organ chamber. Transepts have similar arches, the
south one with a C20 glazed screen, the north one with a C19
traceried screen with gallery above.
Nave has 4 bay arcades with double chamfered arches, and
strutted king post roof. West end has double chamfered tower
arch with doorway below and gallery above. Aisles have lean-to
roofs. North aisle has west end baptistry with stained glass
window, 1915, and other stained glass by Kayll & Read.
Fittings include traceried octagonal wooden pulpit, plain
benches, C19, and octagonal font, 1913.
Memorials include alabaster war memorial tablet with
Perpendicular style wooden surround, and 3 C19 Gothic wall
(Sparkes S: Welcome to Pitsmoor: Pitsmoor: 1989-).
Listing NGR: SK3551489018
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings