This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7145 / 52°42'52"N
Longitude: -2.7487 / 2°44'55"W
OS Eastings: 349516
OS Northings: 313245
OS Grid: SJ495132
Mapcode National: GBR BJ.23YX
Mapcode Global: WH8BT.R18B
Plus Code: 9C4VP772+RG
Entry Name: The Plough Public House
Listing Date: 17 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246551
English Heritage Legacy ID: 455408
Location: Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY1
Civil Parish: Shrewsbury
Built-Up Area: Shrewsbury
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Shrewsbury All Saints and St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ41SE CASTLE FOREGATE
653-1/4/791 (East side)
The Plough Public House
Public house. Late C17/early C18, extended C19, and with later
alterations. Whitewashed render over brick with plain tile
roofs and brick and stucco end stacks. L-plan with wing to
rear and extension on left end.
2 storeys; 2-window range of 2/2 sashes. Doorcase to left with
part-glazed door. 2-storey extension, gable facing, also has a
2/2 sash on each floor. Rear wing has door and further windows
and with lower 2-storey and single-storey extensions on left
end. Unevenness of brickwork suggests some timber-framing may
survive in the inner back walls of the L.
INTERIOR: ground floor opened up into one large area, but low
ceilings remain on both floors. Roof of front range and wing
is original with ties with curved principals, 2 tiers of
purlins, and coupled rafters.
This public house is recorded as licensed premises from 1786.
Listing NGR: SJ4951613245
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings