This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7145 / 52°42'52"N
Longitude: -2.7465 / 2°44'47"W
OS Eastings: 349670
OS Northings: 313244
OS Grid: SJ496132
Mapcode National: GBR BJ.24JR
Mapcode Global: WH8BT.S1C9
Plus Code: 9C4VP773+RC
Entry Name: Canal Tavern Public House and Attached Outbuilding Range
Listing Date: 17 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1254679
English Heritage Legacy ID: 457703
Location: Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY1
Civil Parish: Shrewsbury
Built-Up Area: Shrewsbury
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Shrewsbury All Saints and St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ41SE NEW PARK ROAD
653-1/4/793 (North side)
Canal Tavern Public House and
attached outbuilding range
Public house. Early C19. Whitewashed brick with Welsh slate
and plain tile roofs with coped gables and brick end stacks. L
plan with 2-storey wing to rear.
3 storeys; 3-window range of 6/6 sashes under stucco lintels.
3/3 sashes above. On ground floor a later central porch has
original doorcase within with door and overlight. 1/1 sashes
either side. Lean-to on left end and outbuilding range on
right end. This is of brick with plain tile roof and has,
nearest to main range, an arched doorway with bulls-eye window
to left and loft door above.
INTERIOR: main range has room to right opened out but that to
left survives mostly intact.
This public house, on the side of the former Shrewsbury Canal,
is marked on Wood's map of Shrewsbury of 1838.
Listing NGR: SJ4967013244
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings