This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.4078 / 53°24'28"N
Longitude: -1.4515 / 1°27'5"W
OS Eastings: 436558
OS Northings: 390254
OS Grid: SK365902
Mapcode National: GBR 9M8.C5
Mapcode Global: WHDDH.PL0T
Plus Code: 9C5WCG5X+49
Entry Name: Church of St Cuthbert
Listing Date: 28 June 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246565
English Heritage Legacy ID: 455436
Location: Burngreave, Sheffield, S5
Electoral Ward/Division: Burngreave
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Sheffield St Cuthbert, Fir Vale
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK39SE BARNSLEY ROAD
784-1/2/65 (East side)
28/06/73 Church of St Cuthbert
Parish church. 1901-1904. By John Dodsley Webster & Son. Tower
1959. Squared dressed stone with ashlar dressings and plain
tile roof with single side wall ashlar stack. Gothic Revival
PLAN: nave with clerestory and aisles, chancel, double gabled
transepts, south-west porch, organ chamber, vestry, north-west
EXTERIOR: plinth, string courses, buttresses, coped gables
with kneelers and crosses. Windows are untraceried, mainly
with hoodmoulds. 2 bay chancel has a graduated 5-light window
at the east end, blank north side and to south, 2 single
lancets. Nave clerestory has 10 pairs of lancets on each side.
West end has 2 lancets and above, a graduated 4-light window
with cusped heads and above again, a cusped oval window. 3 bay
aisles have 2 graduated 3 lancet windows, and south aisle has
a 2-light window in west end, and 2 lancet windows to east.
North aisle has tower and under-tower porch in western bay.
South aisle has gabled porch with double chamfered doorway in
the equivalent position. Double gabled transepts have each 2
graduated 3-light windows. North transept has cove moulded
doorway to west. 2 storey parapeted vestry, to south-east, has
a door and window and above, 2 windows. East side has 2
windows on each floor. Parapeted organ chamber, to north-east,
has a single window to north and east. Square parapeted tower,
3 stages, has four centred arched doorways to east and west,
with wrought-iron gates. Above, a plain window and above
again, a clock. To north, a 4-centred arched door with
external stair. Bell stage has a rebated 2-light opening on
INTERIOR has double chamfered chancel arch with ringed shaft
imposts and hoodmould, and coped screen wall. Chancel has
string course and wagon roof with arch braces and corbels.
North side has double chamfered arch containing organ and
south side has door with 2 windows above.
Nave has 5 bay arcades with double chamfered arches and round
piers, double purlin principal rafter roof with arch braces
and wall shafts. Aisles have lean-to roofs with struts, and
doorways at their western ends. North aisle has double
chamfered arch at east end. Open transepts form Lady Chapel
(north) and Chapel of Chivalry (south).
Fittings include octagonal ashlar font with carved niches and
alabaster shafts. Traceried panelled octagonal wooden pulpit
on stone base, stalls with carved ends, and brass eagle
lectern dated 1879. Chancel east end has memorial window,
1918. Nave west end, north and south aisles have stained glass
windows by AJ Davies of Bromsgrove, c1936. South aisle has a
memorial east window, 1917, by Kayll & Reed of Sheffield, and
a memorial window, 1947. Memorials include a pedimented wooden
war memorial tablet, c1918.
Listing NGR: SK3655890254
Other nearby listed buildings