This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9517 / 52°57'6"N
Longitude: -1.1494 / 1°8'57"W
OS Eastings: 457244
OS Northings: 339710
OS Grid: SK572397
Mapcode National: GBR LPQ.80
Mapcode Global: WHDGZ.92XG
Plus Code: 9C4WXV22+M6
Entry Name: Castle Gate Congregational Centre and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 2 December 1985
Last Amended: 30 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246574
English Heritage Legacy ID: 454899
Location: Nottingham, NG1
County: City of Nottingham
Electoral Ward/Division: Bridge
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Nottingham St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK5739NW CASTLE GATE
646-1/20/94 (North side)
Castle Gate Congregational Centre
and attached railings
(Formerly Listed as:
Congregational Centre, formerly
Congregational chapel, now Congregational centre, and attached
railings. Dated 1863. By RC Sutton of Nottingham, for the
Trustees of the Congregational Church. Converted and altered
1983. Red brick, with blue and yellow brick and ashlar
dressings and gabled and hipped slate roofs.
Lombardic-Venetian Revival style.
EXTERIOR: plinth, lintel and impost bands, bracketed eaves
cornice, pierced balustrade with corner pedestals.
2 storeys; 3 x 5 bays. Projecting centre under a pedimented
gable with bracketed cornices and arched corbel table, flanked
by pilaster buttresses. Triple arched entrance with larger
central arch flanked by pilasters and containing double
doorways divided by a granite shaft. Glazed tympanum with
radial lights and keystone. On each side, a window. Above, a
traceried window, 2-lights, with keystone, flanked by smaller
windows. Dated panel in pediment. Side wings have a 2-light
window on each floor, segment-arched below and round-arched
above, with keystones. Upper windows have tracery. Returns to
wings have moulded round-arched doorways with keystones, inset
lintels and flanking shafts. Above, a traceried 2-light
window. Nave has on each side five 2-light windows,
segment-arched below and round-arched above, with keystones.
Upper windows have tracery. Left return has a central link to
the adjoining building.
INTERIOR has central entrance lobby with wings on either side,
housing stairs to gallery. Beyond the lobby, nave with side
aisles containing galleries linked by a semicircular return
end above the entrance lobby. Floor inserted in the nave at
gallery level, with offices below and auditorium above, which
retains the galleries as seating. Upper arcade with double
cast-iron columns and foliage capitals. Ribbed barrel vault
with granite wall shafts on corbels, and plaster ceiling with
decorative ventilators. Organ loft has a large arched opening
and side arches, carried on cast-iron columns with foliage
Outside, a cast-iron railing across the front, with brick
plinth and chamfered coping. Central square brick gate piers
with pyramidal ashlar caps and the bases of cast-iron lamps.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
Listing NGR: SK5724439709
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings