History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Maritime Museum

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6036 / 52°36'12"N

Longitude: 1.7361 / 1°44'9"E

OS Eastings: 653076

OS Northings: 307201

OS Grid: TG530072

Mapcode National: GBR YQZ.MS0

Mapcode Global: WHNVZ.MTXD

Entry Name: Maritime Museum

Listing Date: 15 February 1990

Last Amended: 26 February 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1246585

English Heritage Legacy ID: 468540

Location: Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR30

County: Norfolk

District: Great Yarmouth

Electoral Ward/Division: Nelson

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Great Yarmouth

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Great Yarmouth

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Gorleston-on-Sea

Listing Text


GREAT YARMOUTH

TG5307SW MARINE PARADE
839-1/17/92 (West side)
15/02/90 No.25
Maritime Museum
(Formerly Listed as:
MARINE PARADE
The Maritime Museum)

II

Home for shipwrecked sailors, converted to a maritime museum
in 1965-67. 1858. By AW Morant, extended to the west in 1908
by Olley & Haward. Italianate. Gault brick banded with red
brick and with red brick dressings. Slate roof.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and basement; 3-window range. Rusticated
and stuccoed ground floor with two 2/2 unhorned sashes set
within architraves decorated with laurel-leaf trails. Sills on
console brackets. 5-panelled door to the right under a hood on
scrolled brackets. The panelled aprons of the three 2/2
unhorned first-floor sashes are set within a broad string
course. The windows have arched heads with continuous cable
mouldings. Three 2/2 unhorned sashes to the first floor with
paired pilasters between each one. The parapet has 4
terracotta consoles over each window, a dentil cornice and a
central clock set within a segmental pediment on volutes.
Set-back low hipped roof. The north and south returns are of
the same design, 5-window ranges. To the rear (west) is the
1908 addition: one storey, stuccoed and rusticated, sashes and
a doorway to the south.
INTERIOR: the ground floor rooms have sunk-quadrant bridging
beams. At the rear the original exterior wall is now an
internal wall, complete with its centre sash, the outer ones
now converted to doors. The staircase has 2 turned balusters
to each tread and a ramped and wreathed handrail.
(Illustrated London News: 19 October 1861: London).


Listing NGR: TG5307607201

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


GREAT YARMOUTH

TG5307SW MARINE PARADE
839-1/17/92 (West side)
15/02/90 No.25
Maritime Museum
(Formerly Listed as:
MARINE PARADE
The Maritime Museum)

II

Home for shipwrecked sailors, converted to a maritime museum
in 1965-67. 1858. By AW Morant, extended to the west in 1908
by Olley & Haward. Italianate. Gault brick banded with red
brick and with red brick dressings. Slate roof.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and basement; 3-window range. Rusticated
and stuccoed ground floor with two 2/2 unhorned sashes set
within architraves decorated with laurel-leaf trails. Sills on
console brackets. 5-panelled door to the right under a hood on
scrolled brackets. The panelled aprons of the three 2/2
unhorned first-floor sashes are set within a broad string
course. The windows have arched heads with continuous cable
mouldings. Three 2/2 unhorned sashes to the first floor with
paired pilasters between each one. The parapet has 4
terracotta consoles over each window, a dentil cornice and a
central clock set within a segmental pediment on volutes.
Set-back low hipped roof. The north and south returns are of
the same design, 5-window ranges. To the rear (west) is the
1908 addition: one storey, stuccoed and rusticated, sashes and
a doorway to the south.
INTERIOR: the ground floor rooms have sunk-quadrant bridging
beams. At the rear the original exterior wall is now an
internal wall, complete with its centre sash, the outer ones
now converted to doors. The staircase has 2 turned balusters
to each tread and a ramped and wreathed handrail.
(Illustrated London News: 19 October 1861: London).


Listing NGR: TG5307607201

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.