This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3862 / 53°23'10"N
Longitude: -1.4573 / 1°27'26"W
OS Eastings: 436195
OS Northings: 387839
OS Grid: SK361878
Mapcode National: GBR 9LH.3Y
Mapcode Global: WHDDP.L48X
Plus Code: 9C5W9GPV+F3
Entry Name: Sheaf Works
Listing Date: 28 June 1973
Last Amended: 12 December 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246606
English Heritage Legacy ID: 455546
Location: Sheffield, S2
Electoral Ward/Division: City
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Park St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK38NE MALTRAVERS STREET
784-1/6/491 (North side)
28/06/73 Sheaf Works
(Formerly Listed as:
Sheaf Works (front block only))
Cutlery works, now disused. 1823. Ashlar with hipped slate
roof and 2 large ridge stacks. Classical Revival style.
Plinth, first floor band and sillband, moulded eaves and
pediment, coped parapet. 3 storeys; 9 window range.
Projecting centre, 5 windows, with pediment containing tablet
inscribed "Sheaf Works". Windows are 12 pane sashes, the pair
to right replaced by plain sashes, with moulded surrounds and
cornices. Above, nine 6 pane sashes, 2 of them replaced by
2-light casements. Ground floor has 12 pane sashes with eared
architraves and cornices.
Right return, 3 windows, has a projecting centre. Single 12
pane sash flanked by single tripartite sashes with scrolled
pediments. Above, three 6 pane sashes with cornices. Below,
doorcase with double columns, cornice and fanlight, flanked by
single tripartite sashes with scrolled pediments.
Rear has regular fenestration, with a clock in the pediment
and 3 elliptical arched basement openings with keystones, now
INTERIOR not inspected.
This building is said to be the first designed for the factory
production of cutlery.
Listing NGR: SK3619587839
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings