History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Arches and Linked Tunnel Entrance on Furnival Road

A Grade II Listed Building in City, Sheffield

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3854 / 53°23'7"N

Longitude: -1.458 / 1°27'28"W

OS Eastings: 436148

OS Northings: 387755

OS Grid: SK361877

Mapcode National: GBR 9KJ.Y7

Mapcode Global: WHDDP.K5YH

Entry Name: The Arches and Linked Tunnel Entrance on Furnival Road

Listing Date: 8 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1247042

English Heritage Legacy ID: 456186

Location: Sheffield, S2

County: Sheffield

Electoral Ward/Division: City

Built-Up Area: Sheffield

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Park St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Walkley

Listing Text


SHEFFIELD

SK38NE CANAL WHARF
784-1/6/138 (North West side)
08/03/88 The Arches and linked tunnel
entrance on Furnival Road

GV II

Coal staithes and tunnel below former railway coal yard. 1855,
restored 1983. Built for the Manchester, Sheffield and
Lincolnshire Railway Co. Rock-faced stone and rubble with
ashlar dressings. String course, coped parapets. Continuous
retaining wall. At the west end, a segmental skew arch. On the
Furnival Road side, flanking pilasters and sloping wing walls
with smaller piers, all with pyramidal caps. To the east, the
wall breaks forward with 9 segmental arches, then continues in
a shallow S-curve with a further 11 arches. 2 further arches
demolished 1993. The tenth arch is narrower and has flanking
pilasters with pyramidal caps. All arches have keystones. The
vaults below the arches have girders carrying rail tracks.
Coal was dropped from wagons into the vaults beneath the
arches.
Building vacant at time of survey.


Listing NGR: SK3614887755

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


SHEFFIELD

SK38NE CANAL WHARF
784-1/6/138 (North West side)
08/03/88 The Arches and linked tunnel
entrance on Furnival Road

GV II

Coal staithes and tunnel below former railway coal yard. 1855,
restored 1983. Built for the Manchester, Sheffield and
Lincolnshire Railway Co. Rock-faced stone and rubble with
ashlar dressings. String course, coped parapets. Continuous
retaining wall. At the west end, a segmental skew arch. On the
Furnival Road side, flanking pilasters and sloping wing walls
with smaller piers, all with pyramidal caps. To the east, the
wall breaks forward with 9 segmental arches, then continues in
a shallow S-curve with a further 11 arches. 2 further arches
demolished 1993. The tenth arch is narrower and has flanking
pilasters with pyramidal caps. All arches have keystones. The
vaults below the arches have girders carrying rail tracks.
Coal was dropped from wagons into the vaults beneath the
arches.
Building vacant at time of survey.


Listing NGR: SK3614887755

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.