History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hydraulic Engine House

A Grade II Listed Building in Gosport, Hampshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8022 / 50°48'7"N

Longitude: -1.1248 / 1°7'29"W

OS Eastings: 461768

OS Northings: 100654

OS Grid: SU617006

Mapcode National: GBR VKN.VR

Mapcode Global: FRA 86JZ.9LV

Entry Name: Hydraulic Engine House

Listing Date: 1 March 2001

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1246651

English Heritage Legacy ID: 486979

Location: Gosport, Hampshire, PO12

County: Hampshire

District: Gosport

Town: Gosport

Electoral Ward/Division: Christchurch

Built-Up Area: Gosport

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Gosport Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Gosport

Listing Text


SU 6100 WEEVIL LANE
1137/5/10086 Royal Clarence Victualling Yard
01-MAR-01 (East side)
Hydraulic Engine House

GV II

Engine House, with well. 1862, design by Andrew Murray, Chief Engineer Portsmouth Dockyard, under the direction of Col. G T Greene. Red brick in English bond, slate roofs with lead dressings. A compact plan, with main boiler house full length on the N side, having a long wing extending S on the side adjoining the bakery and Mill (qv), and containing the well, within the re-entrant angle a 3 storey tower; the stack, now demolished, lay detached to the N side.

A carefully detailed building, the main window and door openings have brick arches over a recessed panel also with brick voussoirs; the design drawings (95/06266, see Evans, p14) show entrance doors centrally to N side, but this now has two 9-paned sash windows with radial bars to the upper sash, and to the right, a blind panel; the return facing the Bakery is in 4 bays, with a blind panel and two sashes as to the N, then a wider and higher recessed arched opening with a wide pair of plank doors beneath a fanlight. The W front, on the right return, had originally a sash window, but now contains a full-height pair of plank wide doors, the upper parts with 4 vertical glass panes; then the tower, with a recessed sash below a smaller 9-pane with radial bars, beneath a small oculus with louvres. The tower return has corresponding features, but are all blind panels, with, to the right in the lower portion, a further sash to an arch, but without radial bars. The wing containing the well returns, with a narrow pair of plank doors to radial light in recessed arch, and a full-height pair of plank doors containing 6-pane lights, to a concrete lintel, on the outer end; these doors replace an original sash. All roofs are hipped, and the boiler house has a continuous lantern with louvres. The eaves have a moulded cornice above a brick dentil course to all roofs.

Interior: Some of the original heavy timber framework for machinery remains.

This engine house was built after a series of discussions during the early part of the '60s about suitable power needed both for the great Mill and Bakery which are adjacent, and for keeping the reservoir filled. The reservoir provided fresh water supplies for naval shipping, in connection with which the great Tank Store (qv) had been built thirty years earlier. It was designed to maintain a hydraulic head of 700lbs psi. (Evans). It is a very handsome building, bearing in mind its purely functional purpose, in a late Georgian tradition, and may have had special consideration in view of its proximity to the very splendid main Bakery building alongside. It is of considerable importance in the history of the development of this site, in addition to being an early and fine example of a hydraulically-powered engine house.

(Evans, D (ROYAL CLARENCE YARD - some buildings reconsidered; Gosport Borough Council - 1999; Coad, J: THE ROYAL DOCKYARDS 1690/1850; RCHME - 1989)

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


SU 6100 WEEVIL LANE
1137/5/10086 Royal Clarence Victualling Yard
01-MAR-01 (East side)
Hydraulic Engine House

GV II

Engine House, with well. 1862, design by Andrew Murray, Chief Engineer Portsmouth Dockyard, under the direction of Col. G T Greene. Red brick in English bond, slate roofs with lead dressings. A compact plan, with main boiler house full length on the N side, having a long wing extending S on the side adjoining the bakery and Mill (qv), and containing the well, within the re-entrant angle a 3 storey tower; the stack, now demolished, lay detached to the N side.

A carefully detailed building, the main window and door openings have brick arches over a recessed panel also with brick voussoirs; the design drawings (95/06266, see Evans, p14) show entrance doors centrally to N side, but this now has two 9-paned sash windows with radial bars to the upper sash, and to the right, a blind panel; the return facing the Bakery is in 4 bays, with a blind panel and two sashes as to the N, then a wider and higher recessed arched opening with a wide pair of plank doors beneath a fanlight. The W front, on the right return, had originally a sash window, but now contains a full-height pair of plank wide doors, the upper parts with 4 vertical glass panes; then the tower, with a recessed sash below a smaller 9-pane with radial bars, beneath a small oculus with louvres. The tower return has corresponding features, but are all blind panels, with, to the right in the lower portion, a further sash to an arch, but without radial bars. The wing containing the well returns, with a narrow pair of plank doors to radial light in recessed arch, and a full-height pair of plank doors containing 6-pane lights, to a concrete lintel, on the outer end; these doors replace an original sash. All roofs are hipped, and the boiler house has a continuous lantern with louvres. The eaves have a moulded cornice above a brick dentil course to all roofs.

Interior: Some of the original heavy timber framework for machinery remains.

This engine house was built after a series of discussions during the early part of the '60s about suitable power needed both for the great Mill and Bakery which are adjacent, and for keeping the reservoir filled. The reservoir provided fresh water supplies for naval shipping, in connection with which the great Tank Store (qv) had been built thirty years earlier. It was designed to maintain a hydraulic head of 700lbs psi. (Evans). It is a very handsome building, bearing in mind its purely functional purpose, in a late Georgian tradition, and may have had special consideration in view of its proximity to the very splendid main Bakery building alongside. It is of considerable importance in the history of the development of this site, in addition to being an early and fine example of a hydraulically-powered engine house.

(Evans, D (ROYAL CLARENCE YARD - some buildings reconsidered; Gosport Borough Council - 1999; Coad, J: THE ROYAL DOCKYARDS 1690/1850; RCHME - 1989)

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.