This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2441 / 52°14'38"N
Longitude: 0.7144 / 0°42'51"E
OS Eastings: 585417
OS Northings: 264123
OS Grid: TL854641
Mapcode National: GBR QF0.7FN
Mapcode Global: VHKD4.BVKL
Entry Name: Chantry House
Listing Date: 7 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246714
English Heritage Legacy ID: 466891
Location: Bury St. Edmunds, West Suffolk, Suffolk, IP33
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Bury St Edmunds
Built-Up Area: Bury St Edmunds
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Bury St Edmunds St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
BURY ST EDMUNDS
TL8564SW HATTER STREET
639-1/14/417 (East side)
House. C18 with C17 or earlier core. Red brick front with a
parapet and stone cornice; timber-framed and rendered rear.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and cellars. 4 window range: sashes
without glazing-bars in flush cased frames, except for 2
windows on the 2nd storey which have 6 panes. Entrance door,
with 6 raised fielded panels and a semicircular fanlight with
enriched radiating glazing-bars, set in a doorcase with
panelled reveals, panelled pilasters and an open pediment.
Complex rendered rear with several gables.
INTERIOR: mainly Georgian. Panelled dados in entrance hall,
full height panelling to 2 ground storey rooms with torus
mouldings to the panels. 4-panel doors throughout, with sunk
panels and applied mouldings, in surrounds with eared
architraves. One bolection moulded fireplace surround on the
upper storey. A fine stair of c1700 rises 2 storeys:
barley-sugar twist balusters, closed and moulded strings,
heavy square newels and moulded flat handrail. One wing at the
rear has a high exposed C17 main beam, off centre.
Listing NGR: TL8541764123
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings