This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.388 / 53°23'16"N
Longitude: -1.4657 / 1°27'56"W
OS Eastings: 435629
OS Northings: 388042
OS Grid: SK356880
Mapcode National: GBR 9JH.89
Mapcode Global: WHDDP.G37H
Plus Code: 9C5W9GQM+6P
Entry Name: New Testament Church of God and Attached Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 28 June 1973
Last Amended: 12 December 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246803
English Heritage Legacy ID: 455880
Location: City, Sheffield, S3
Electoral Ward/Division: City
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Pitsmoor Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK3588SE NURSERY STREET
784-1/16/560 (North East side)
28/06/73 New Testament Church of God and
attached boundary wall
(Formerly Listed as:
Holy Trinity Church)
Church and attached boundary wall. 1848. By William Flockton.
Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs.
Gothic Revival style.
EXTERIOR: plinth, buttresses topped with gabled pinnacles with
blind lancets, crenellated parapets and gables. Windows are
mainly untraceried single lancets with roll moulded surrounds.
Chancel, nave, west tower with flanking porches. Single bay
chancel has to east a triple lancet with round shafts, and to
north, a single window. In the south-east angle, a C19 brick
lean-to addition with slate roof. Nave has 6 lancet windows on
Square west tower, 4 stages, has angle buttresses, string
courses, corbel table and blind arcaded parapet. First stage
has, to west, a roll moulded doorway with double shafts and
above it, a small single lancet. Second stage has a single
lancet on 3 sides. Third stage has a blind arcade on all
sides. Bell stage has 3 single lancet bell openings on each
Lean-to flanking porches have each a single lancet to west. To
south, a single window. To north, a traceried panelled door.
INTERIOR: chancel has moulded arch with double round shafts
and hoodmould. Gabled roof. East end has a triple window with
patterned stained glass. Below it, a platform and steps. North
and south sides have single windows. Nave has arch braced
queen post roof. Square ended gallery with Gothic tracery and
cast-iron clustered columns with traceried brackets. At the
west end, a pair of half-glazed doors with Gothic tracery. At
the east end, on each side, a framed panelled enclosure
forming office and vestry. West porch has stone dogleg stair
with iron stick balusters and ramped wooden handrail.
FITTINGS include late C19 traceried panelled octagonal font
with clustered stem, and plain benches, mostly with square
ends. Some have Gothic style ends.
MEMORIALS include marble tablet, 1874, with pediment and
columns, and Gothic style marble tablet with portrait
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: outside, a dwarf boundary wall, coursed
squared stone with moulded coping, with 2 pairs of squat
ashlar gate piers with pyramidal caps, and similar corner
Listing NGR: SK3562988042
Other nearby listed buildings