History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sabrina Fountain

A Grade II Listed Building in Bridgnorth, Shropshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5323 / 52°31'56"N

Longitude: -2.4197 / 2°25'10"W

OS Eastings: 371628

OS Northings: 292798

OS Grid: SO716927

Mapcode National: GBR BZ.FF0Z

Mapcode Global: VH90Z.0MN2

Entry Name: Sabrina Fountain

Listing Date: 27 February 2001

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1246858

English Heritage Legacy ID: 486987

Location: Bridgnorth, Shropshire, WV16

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Bridgnorth

Built-Up Area: Bridgnorth

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Bridgnorth

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Bridgnorth

Listing Text

SO79SW
823/1/10085
27-FEB-01

BRIDGNORTH

CASTLE GROUNDS
Sabrina Fountain

GV
II

Memorial fountain. 1881. Polished grey and pink granite and bronze. Octagonal base with round fountain bowl on top, above which is a large pedestal with columns at the corners, a cornice and on the sides bronze shields, a portrait bust and lion masks. Above the pedestal at the corners there are four bronze dolphins around a small pedestal, which is surmounted by a large bronze draped figure of Sabrina, sculpted by J.M. Griffiths. It is in memory to Henry Whitmore, MP for Bridgnorth from 1852 to 1870. Originally situated in West Castle Street and later moved to this site in the Castle Grounds.

Listing NGR: SO7162892798

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

SO79SW
823/1/10085
27-FEB-01

BRIDGNORTH

CASTLE GROUNDS
Sabrina Fountain

GV
II

Memorial fountain. 1881. Polished grey and pink granite and bronze. Octagonal base with round fountain bowl on top, above which is a large pedestal with columns at the corners, a cornice and on the sides bronze shields, a portrait bust and lion masks. Above the pedestal at the corners there are four bronze dolphins around a small pedestal, which is surmounted by a large bronze draped figure of Sabrina, sculpted by J.M. Griffiths. It is in memory to Henry Whitmore, MP for Bridgnorth from 1852 to 1870. Originally situated in West Castle Street and later moved to this site in the Castle Grounds.

Listing NGR: SO7162892798

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.