This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.255 / 51°15'18"N
Longitude: 0.1105 / 0°6'37"E
OS Eastings: 547369
OS Northings: 152766
OS Grid: TQ473527
Mapcode National: GBR LLW.BQ8
Mapcode Global: VHHPQ.VQR8
Plus Code: 9F327446+25
Entry Name: The Phillippines
Listing Date: 21 March 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246938
English Heritage Legacy ID: 486904
Location: Brasted, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN14
Civil Parish: Brasted
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Brasted St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ 45 SE EMMETTS LANE
771/45/10069 Ide Hill
21-MAR-01 The Phillippines
House, later care home. Northern part built in 1834, according to "Buildings of England" an Italianate style villa, with ballroom shown on the OS map of 1869, with conservatory added to north east by the 1896 OS map. This was extended to the south in a matching style c1900 and the principal rooms refurbished, including work of 1902-5 and 1908 by the notable architect and designer George Walton. Some later C20 alterations and extensions after the building became a care home.
EXTERIOR: North wing stuccoed with mansard slate roof. South wing rendered with slate roof.
North wing of two storeys semi-basement and attics; 7 windows including end curved bays with 3 windows each. Central bay has 4-light window to attic with cornice with end urns, first floor has 4-light french window with cast iron balustrading and ground floor has horsehoe-arched doorcase with fanlight with stained glass with "The Phillippines 1878" on the inside, panelled pilasters with paterae and half-glazed door with marginal glazing. The end pilasters no longer support a cornice. Curved flight of steps with stone balustrading and iron handrail terminating in circular columns with gadrooned urns. End bays have pedimented attic windows concealed balustrading with urns (one missing to left side). Cornice with acanthus leaf brackets and paterae. Ground floor and semi-basement rusticated. Late C19 sashes with horns but no glazing bars except for central windows to bays replaced by sheet glass in later C20, all within original openings. Attached to north east is former ballroom of one tall storey stuccoed with balustraded parapet with urns. Top has three panels with ovals with eared architraves. Below the moulded cornice this section is rusticated with three windows, now C20 replacements. To extreme north east is former conservatory added before 1896. This is of one storey stuccoed with seven pilasters and barrel-vaulted glazed roof. C20 casement windows in original openings.
South wing cement rendered with incised lines to imitate masonry. Two to three storeys: three windows. Left side bay of two storeys with hipped slate roof. Rest three storeys with balustraded parapet with two urn finials to centre and large octagonal bellcote. Triple casement windows. Ground floor rusticated and end windows are splayed bays with french windows. Central porch has four Ionic columns and half-glazed door flanked by side-lights. Pierced balustrading above ground floor. South east and west one storey late C20 extensions.
INTERIOR: Remodelled in the first decade of the C20. Staircase hall has 6 imitation marble Composite columns, a fireplace of limed oak with eared architraves, swag panel and curved overmantel with palms and blank shield and a large limed oak well staircase with turned balusters, panelled base and panelled square newel posts. Many six-panelled doors. Glazed dome above staircase with 12 coloured glass side windows. In 1908 George Walton painted a mural in oils on two walls above the staircase depicting the story of Diana and Actaeon which is signed and dated. The larger wall depicts the goddess and her nymphs surprised in her grove and the smaller wall has Actaeon shown in the act of being changed into a stag. Dining Room has fine Edwardian C18 style panelling incorporating a fireplace with eared architrave with ovolo moulding, a panel with female head, two built-in serpentine shelved china cupboards and plastered ceiling with three panels. The room opposite the Dining Room has a panelled ceiling and some wall panels. The Drawing Room was re-decorated by George Walton between 1902-5. There is a stencilled frieze depicting bluebells and cornflowers and wooden panelling etched with gilding including cornice shelf, pilasters with dentil motif, plinth, built-in cupboard and curved overmantel to fireplace incorporating ornament shelves. There is a steel and brass fireplace with ogival-shaped hood, built-in firedogs and a side decoration incised in plaster and coloured of doves and peacock feathers. Square pillars with swags to bow window.
[John Newman Buildings of England "West Kent and the Weald" pp178-179
Karen Moon "George Walton designer and Architect." P120 plates 157 and 203.]
Listing NGR: TQ4736952766
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings