This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3757 / 53°22'32"N
Longitude: -1.483 / 1°28'58"W
OS Eastings: 434489
OS Northings: 386662
OS Grid: SK344866
Mapcode National: GBR 9DM.KQ
Mapcode Global: WHDDP.6D1Z
Plus Code: 9C5W9GG8+7Q
Entry Name: Church of St Silas
Listing Date: 28 June 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246965
English Heritage Legacy ID: 456079
Location: Broomhill and Sharrow Vale, Sheffield, S3
Electoral Ward/Division: Broomhill and Sharrow Vale
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Sheffield Broomhill St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26/09/2011
Church of St Silas
Former parish church. 1869. By John Brightmore Mitchell-Withers.
Restored late C20. Coursed squared stone with hipped and
gabled slate roofs with an external side wall stack to the
chancel. Gothic Revival style.
PLAN: chancel, north chapel and vestry arranged as transepts,
nave with clerestory, aisles, north porch, south-west tower.
EXTERIOR: plinth, buttresses, coped gables, one with a cross.
Chancel has to east a 4-light pointed arched window with
Geometrical tracery, and on each side a transomed double
lancet. Hipped vestry, to south, has to east a double lancet
and below it, a chamfered double doorway. To south, a single
lancet with a door to its right. Hipped north-east chapel has
2 single lancets to north and to east, plus a chamfered
pointed doorway to east. Nave clerestory has four 2-light
pointed arched windows to south and 5 to north. West end has a
5-light pointed arched window with Geometrical tracery and
hoodmould and shafts, and below it, a 3-light mullioned
window. South aisle has four 2-light pointed arched windows. 5
bay north aisle has 4 similar windows and a gabled porch in
the fourth bay, west end has a single similar window.
South-west tower, 2 stages, has partly gabled angle buttresses
to the panelled lower stage, string courses, enriched corbel
table and parapet with 4 tall crocketed pinnacles. Lower stage
has to south a moulded doorway with double shafts, under a
thin gable. Above it, a small single lancet and above again, a
small lancet with gabled hoodmould and impost band. West side
has a double lancet with a quatrefoil above it, both under a
cricketed gable. Bell stage has paired lancet bell-openings to
INTERIOR: chancel has boarded wagon roof and double chamfered
arch with hoodmould and rebated square piers with ringed shaft
imposts. North side has chamfered arch with late C20 glazed
screen. North-east chapel has pyramidal roof. Nave has 4 bay
arcades with round piers and stiff-leaf capitals, and plain
chamfered arches. At the west end, vestibule defined by
Decorated style glazed wooden screen. Arch braced principal
rafter roof with alternate spandrels traceried and braced,
with wall shafts on stone corbels. Aisles have arch braced
lean-to roofs and segmental pointed eastern arches, that to
north with glazed screen, that to south with organ pipes.
North aisle has traceried screen at west end, and north-west
Stained glass includes north aisle window, 1908, by Heaton,
Butler & Bayne, and chancel window, 1929, by HG Hiller & Co.
Other windows late C19 and 1969.
Fittings include Decorated style wooden reredos with canopied
niches, and wooden pulpit and stalls in the same style, all
late C19. Panelled octagonal font. Brass eagle lectern, 1880.
Memorials include late C19 and C20 brasses and Decorated style
wooden war memorial tablet, c1920.
Listing NGR: SK3448986662
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 26 October 2017.
Other nearby listed buildings