This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5284 / 51°31'42"N
Longitude: -0.122 / 0°7'19"W
OS Eastings: 530369
OS Northings: 182730
OS Grid: TQ303827
Mapcode National: GBR J6.R8
Mapcode Global: VHGQS.TVV5
Plus Code: 9C3XGVHH+95
Entry Name: Numbers 26-35 and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 14 May 1974
Last Amended: 11 January 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1247001
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476612
Location: Camden, London, WC1H
Electoral Ward/Division: King's Cross
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Holy Cross Cromer Street
Church of England Diocese: London
798-1/90/48 ARGYLE SQUARE
14-MAY-1974 (South side)
Numbers 26-35 and attached railings
(Formerly listed as:
7-25,26-35 AND 36-47)
Terrace of 10 houses, forming the south side of Argyle Square. c1840-49, with some alterations. Yellow stock brick with later patching. Nos 29, 31 and 32 have painted ground floors. Each house is of 2-bays, and 4-storeys plus basement, with a raised parapet. The ground floor doors and windows are round-headed and have moulded architraves. Nos 26 and 35, have flat arch ground floor windows. The ground to second floor windows are six-over-six pane sashes, the third floor windows three-over-three pane. The first floor windows have moulded architraves, whilst the second and third floor windows are recessed with gauged brick flat arches. The first floor windows have a cast-iron balcony, missing on No 35, a continuous sill band runs beneath these. The doorways, where unaltered, have pilaster-jambs carrying cornice-heads, with fanlights and panelled doors. The entrance to No 26 is on the left hand return. There are attached cast-iron railings with bud finials to some of the areas. The 1960s extension to the rear of Nos 26 and 27 is not of special interest.
INTERIORS: These have not been inspected.
HISTORY: A church once stood to the east of this terrace, with another terrace (probably also of the 1840s) continuing to the east along what was previously called Manchester Street. The church and section of terrace were damaged in WWII, and a council estate now stands in their place. Nos 7-25 and 26-35 are the western continuation of the terrace (c1840-1849), and are also listed Grade II. No 26 housed St Pancras Conservative club from the early C20 until 2002, with 27 providing staff accommodation.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: Nos 26-35 (consecutive) Argyle Square, are of special interest as part of the remaining 1840s terrace which forms the south side of Argyle Square. Terraces of the same date also survive to the west and east.
Survey of London: Vol. XXIV, King's Cross Neighbourhood, Parish of St Pancras IV: London: -1952: 105.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings