This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3718 / 53°22'18"N
Longitude: -1.4803 / 1°28'49"W
OS Eastings: 434674
OS Northings: 386227
OS Grid: SK346862
Mapcode National: GBR 9FP.43
Mapcode Global: WHDDP.7HBZ
Entry Name: Baptist Church and Adjoining Sunday School
Listing Date: 12 December 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1247053
English Heritage Legacy ID: 456201
Location: Sheffield, S11
Electoral Ward/Division: Nether Edge and Sharrow
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Sheffield St Mary, Bramall Lane
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK38NW CEMETERY ROAD
784-1/5/157 (North West side)
Baptist Church and adjoining Sunday
Baptist Church and adjoining Sunday school and meeting rooms.
1858-59 and 1900, with mid and late C20 alterations. Red brick
and coursed squared stone, with ashlar dressings and slate
roofs. Neo-Norman style.
EXTERIOR: plinth, quoins, coped gables. 2 storeys plus
basement. Facing gable, to west, has machicolated first floor
band and eaves. Central wheel window with voussoirs. Below,
round-arched triple arcade with Corinthian columns, with mid
C20 canopies in the openings. On either side, a square tower,
3 stages, topped with a slated octagonal spire and finial.
Lower stage has a single light window with keystone, second
stage has a round-arched double lancet with keystones.
Broached octagonal bell stage has round-arched openings with
Returns, 6 bays, have first floor band and machicolated eaves,
and are divided into panels by pilaster strips. On the first
floor, 6 pairs of round-arched windows. Below, towards the
front, a similar pair of windows, then 5 larger segment-headed
windows. Right return has basement, coursed squared stone,
with a single storey gabled projection to left. To its right,
4 segment-headed 12-pane sashes.
At the rear, gabled 2-storey schoolroom with 5 composite
INTERIOR: single space with deep moulded cornice and plaster
panelled ceiling with central boss. Panelled gallery on 4
sides, with rounded corners to the front, and round cast-iron
columns on each floor. At the front, plain opening with scroll
brackets containing organ and choir gallery. Below, traceried
round cornered wooden pulpit, 1920, with stairs with
wrought-iron balustrades. Plain dais. On either side, a
4-panelled door. At the rear, doors to the entrance hall,
refitted mid C20.
Fittings include traceried panelled benches. Memorials include
brass war memorial panel in wooden frame, 1920, and marble and
slate tablet, 1895.
Listing NGR: SK3467486227
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 26 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings