This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3749 / 53°22'29"N
Longitude: -1.4984 / 1°29'54"W
OS Eastings: 433468
OS Northings: 386564
OS Grid: SK334865
Mapcode National: GBR 99N.70
Mapcode Global: WHCCJ.YFNL
Plus Code: 9C5W9GF2+XJ
Entry Name: Sheffield High School for Girls
Listing Date: 12 December 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1247146
English Heritage Legacy ID: 456381
Location: Sheffield, S10
Electoral Ward/Division: Broomhill and Sharrow Vale
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Sheffield Broomhill St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK3386NW RUTLAND PARK
784-1/26/636 (North side)
Sheffield High School for Girls
Girls' High School. Dated 1884, with mid C20 additions and
alterations. By Tanner & Smith of London. Rock-faced stone
with ashlar dressings and gabled and hipped plain tile roofs
with decorative ridge tiles. Tudor Revival style with
EXTERIOR: central block, 3 storeys plus attics; 9 window
range. Plinth and moulded eaves. Front is divided into 3
recessed panels with modillion heads, and is topped by 3
close-studded gables. 3 large coped stacks to the front, plus
single gable stack to right. In each bay, three 12-pane sashes
with top lights on each floor. Gables have single 2-light
casements. Ground floor has double chamfered segment-headed
openings. In the centre bay, a half-glazed door with side and
top lights, flanked to left by a 3-light wooden framed cross
casement. In the side bays, 2 similar windows.
Lower, set back bay to left has a stone mullioned 3-light
cross casement on the lower floors, and above, a single light
window. Left return has to right a coped gable with traceried
head and first floor band inscribed "Sheffield High School for
Girls". Canted 2-storey porch with hipped roof and 6-pane
window, with battered plinth containing a single light window.
To right, an adjoining hipped canopy to a stone external
stair, with wooden brackets above the entrance. Stone ground
floor with corner buttress and single window, close-studded
upper stage with a 3-light casement. Above the porch, two
2-light stone mullioned cross casements.
Lower set back right wing, 3 storeys; 2 window range. Single
gable stack. On each floor, two 12-pane sashes, the upper ones
with top lights.
To right again, lower 3 storey block with irregular
fenestration. Right return has 2 semicircular 5-light bow
windows to the library on the second floor, and ranges of
smaller windows below. Large mid C20 additions to right.
INTERIOR not inspected.
A largely intact example of a school built following the
establishment of the Girls' Public Day School Trust in 1872,
in a representative architectural style.
Listing NGR: SK3346886564
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings