History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II Listed Building in Nether Edge and Sharrow, Sheffield

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3631 / 53°21'47"N

Longitude: -1.4948 / 1°29'41"W

OS Eastings: 433716

OS Northings: 385254

OS Grid: SK337852

Mapcode National: GBR 9BS.07

Mapcode Global: WHDDP.0QGN

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 28 June 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1247149

English Heritage Legacy ID: 456389

Location: Sheffield, S11

County: Sheffield

Electoral Ward/Division: Nether Edge and Sharrow

Built-Up Area: Sheffield

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: St Andrew, Psalter Lane

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Sheffield

Listing Text


SHEFFIELD

SK38NW ST ANDREW'S ROAD
784-1/5/674 (South East side)
28/06/73 Church of St Andrew

II

Parish church. 1869. By JB Mitchell-Withers. Choir vestry
1913, baptistry 1920. Restored 1955. Coursed squared stone
with ashlar dressings and steep pitched slate roofs. C13
Gothic Revival style.
PLAN: chancel with side chapels, clergy and choir vestries,
north-east tower with spire, transepts, north porch, nave with
clerestory and aisles.
EXTERIOR: chamfered plinth, sillband, coped gables, angle
buttresses. Pointed arch windows throughout.
Chancel has 5-light window to east, with single shafts, and to
south, a 2-light window. Hipped south chapel has 2 lancets to
east. Smaller north chapel has a wheel window to east. Clergy
vestry has a truncated 2-light window to north, with plate
tracery, and a small 2-light window to east. Choir vestry, to
south-east, Perpendicular style, has south porch flanked to
left by 2 single lancets, and to east a transomed 3-light
window.
North-east tower, 2 stages, has short angle buttresses and
string courses. First stage has to east a shouldered doorway
with single shafts under a crocketed gable, and a clock to
north and east. Second stage has corner shafts and corbel
table. On 3 sides, a chamfered lancet opening with shafts,
containing a 2-light bell opening with central shaft.
Octagonal broach spire has a single tier of gabled lucarnes
with double lancets.
Transepts have 4-light plate traceried windows in the gables.
South transept has single lancets to east and west, and
flat-roofed porch to south-east. North transept has single
lancet to west only.
Nave clerestory has 4 round windows on each side, with plate
tracery. West end has additional C20 buttresses and a 4-light
window with plate tracery. Below it, 2 flat-headed windows to
the baptistry. 4 bay aisles have 2-light windows and similar
windows in their west ends. North aisle has a cross-gabled
porch in the third bay with double chamfered doorway with
shafts and a 2-light window in each side.
INTERIOR: chancel has double chamfered arch with hoodmould and
triple shaft imposts. Perpendicular style screen with cross.
Arch braced principal rafter roof with traceried spandrels,
wall shafts and corbels, all painted. On either side, a single
arch and wall paintings. Nave and transepts have arch braced
roofs with wall shafts. Transepts have arches with wheel
windows above, and on their east sides, arches and single
doors. North arch has Perpendicular glazed screen, south arch
has organ. Both have stained glass windows c1871.
Nave has 4 bay arcades with round piers and ringed minor
shafts, stiff-leaf capitals and keel moulded arches with
hoodmoulds. Clerestory has sillband and linked hoodmoulds.
West end has segment-headed baptistry recess. Aisles have
segmental eastern arches, lean-to roofs and stained glass
windows late C19 and early C20.
FITTINGS include chancel windows by Powell Bros. of Leeds, C19
D-shaped alabaster pulpit, round alabaster font with marble
shafts, and traceried stalls with poppyheads. The baptistry
was erected as a war memorial, 1920
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: The West
Riding: London: 1967-: 457).


Listing NGR: SK3371685254

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


SHEFFIELD

SK38NW ST ANDREW'S ROAD
784-1/5/674 (South East side)
28/06/73 Church of St Andrew

II

Parish church. 1869. By JB Mitchell-Withers. Choir vestry
1913, baptistry 1920. Restored 1955. Coursed squared stone
with ashlar dressings and steep pitched slate roofs. C13
Gothic Revival style.
PLAN: chancel with side chapels, clergy and choir vestries,
north-east tower with spire, transepts, north porch, nave with
clerestory and aisles.
EXTERIOR: chamfered plinth, sillband, coped gables, angle
buttresses. Pointed arch windows throughout.
Chancel has 5-light window to east, with single shafts, and to
south, a 2-light window. Hipped south chapel has 2 lancets to
east. Smaller north chapel has a wheel window to east. Clergy
vestry has a truncated 2-light window to north, with plate
tracery, and a small 2-light window to east. Choir vestry, to
south-east, Perpendicular style, has south porch flanked to
left by 2 single lancets, and to east a transomed 3-light
window.
North-east tower, 2 stages, has short angle buttresses and
string courses. First stage has to east a shouldered doorway
with single shafts under a crocketed gable, and a clock to
north and east. Second stage has corner shafts and corbel
table. On 3 sides, a chamfered lancet opening with shafts,
containing a 2-light bell opening with central shaft.
Octagonal broach spire has a single tier of gabled lucarnes
with double lancets.
Transepts have 4-light plate traceried windows in the gables.
South transept has single lancets to east and west, and
flat-roofed porch to south-east. North transept has single
lancet to west only.
Nave clerestory has 4 round windows on each side, with plate
tracery. West end has additional C20 buttresses and a 4-light
window with plate tracery. Below it, 2 flat-headed windows to
the baptistry. 4 bay aisles have 2-light windows and similar
windows in their west ends. North aisle has a cross-gabled
porch in the third bay with double chamfered doorway with
shafts and a 2-light window in each side.
INTERIOR: chancel has double chamfered arch with hoodmould and
triple shaft imposts. Perpendicular style screen with cross.
Arch braced principal rafter roof with traceried spandrels,
wall shafts and corbels, all painted. On either side, a single
arch and wall paintings. Nave and transepts have arch braced
roofs with wall shafts. Transepts have arches with wheel
windows above, and on their east sides, arches and single
doors. North arch has Perpendicular glazed screen, south arch
has organ. Both have stained glass windows c1871.
Nave has 4 bay arcades with round piers and ringed minor
shafts, stiff-leaf capitals and keel moulded arches with
hoodmoulds. Clerestory has sillband and linked hoodmoulds.
West end has segment-headed baptistry recess. Aisles have
segmental eastern arches, lean-to roofs and stained glass
windows late C19 and early C20.
FITTINGS include chancel windows by Powell Bros. of Leeds, C19
D-shaped alabaster pulpit, round alabaster font with marble
shafts, and traceried stalls with poppyheads. The baptistry
was erected as a war memorial, 1920
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: The West
Riding: London: 1967-: 457).


Listing NGR: SK3371685254

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.