This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9555 / 52°57'19"N
Longitude: -1.1636 / 1°9'48"W
OS Eastings: 456288
OS Northings: 340116
OS Grid: SK562401
Mapcode National: GBR LLN.5P
Mapcode Global: WHDGS.3Z54
Plus Code: 9C4WXR4P+5H
Entry Name: 154 to 162, Derby Road
Listing Date: 14 October 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1247221
English Heritage Legacy ID: 456547
Location: Radford, Nottingham, NG7
Electoral Ward/Division: Radford and Park
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: All Souls and Saint Peter, Radford
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK5640SW DERBY ROAD
646-1/12/184 (North side)
14/10/91 Nos.154-162 (Even)
Formerly known as: Alton's Cigar Factory (E Alton & Co Ltd)
3 town houses, converted to shops and a cigar factory. Late
C18 and early C19, with late C19 additions and alterations.
Red brick, with ashlar dressings and slate roofs.
Nos 160 & 162, to left. Early C19. 4 storeys; 2 window range.
2 projecting ground floor shopfronts, late C19, and above, 2
canted bay windows with plain sashes. Above again, 2 glazing
bar sashes on a sill band, and above again, 2 smaller sashes.
All these windows have stucco lintels and double keystones.
Left return has similar glazing bar sashes with brick flat
arches, and a round-arched door and fanlight.
INTERIOR has 2 original open well stairs with winders and
sinuous ramped handrail. Some panelled doors and remains of
fireplaces, early C19.
Central block, No.158. Late C18 front, 4 storeys plus basement
and attic, 5 window range. Slightly projecting front, 1897,
with double doorway, flanked by triple plain sashes with
basement lights below. Above, 3 floors with glazing bar
sashes, the middle floor with a sill band. Above again, an
eaves cornice, then an attic, early C19, with 5 boarded
windows. All these windows have brick flat arches. At the
rear, early C19 factory additions, 3 and 4 storeys, around a
small yard. The additions have segment-arched windows, mostly
original. At the rear, 8 irregularly spaced windows, mainly
glazing bar sashes on the lower floors and glazing bar cross
casements above. Loft doors on the upper floors.
INTERIOR has central ground floor corridor flanked by
matchboarded offices with glazed screens and original
fittings, 1897. Behind these, matchboarded despatch room.
Basement has elliptical brick vaults at the front.
First floor processing and packing rooms have softwood floors,
partly ceiled, and cast-iron columns. Plant room in courtyard
to west has remains of steam plant.
Second floor has at the front a packing room with fitted
benches under the windows. Rear wing has softwood beams and
floors and a double row of cast-iron columns, some with
brackets. On the east side, fitted sorting benches. Third
floor has at the front a box making room with fitted benches
and an opening into the rear wing on cast-iron columns.
Attics have a strutted king post roof.
Nos 154 & 156, to right. Early C19, with a flat roof, mid C20.
3 storeys; 3 window range. Projecting ground floor with 2
shopfronts, late C19, with glazed tiles and plate glass
windows. Above, a boarded central window flanked by broader
glazing bar sashes. Above again, 3 similar smaller windows,
all boarded. All these windows have painted stucco lintels and
INTERIOR has wooden dogleg stair with stick balusters, and
fireplaces, early and mid C19.
Listing NGR: SK5628840116
Other nearby listed buildings