This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9553 / 52°57'19"N
Longitude: -1.1645 / 1°9'52"W
OS Eastings: 456226
OS Northings: 340099
OS Grid: SK562400
Mapcode National: GBR LKN.ZQ
Mapcode Global: WHDGS.2ZR8
Plus Code: 9C4WXR4P+46
Entry Name: Territorial Army Headquarters and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 1 June 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1247531
English Heritage Legacy ID: 457091
Location: Radford, Nottingham, NG7
Electoral Ward/Division: Radford and Park
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: All Souls and Saint Peter, Radford
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK5640SW DERBY ROAD
646-1/12/197 (North side)
Territorial Army Headquarters and
Marked `Postal Sorting Office' on OS map.
Territorial army headquarters, now disused. c1910. Red brick,
with ashlar ground floor and dressings, and flat asphalt
roofs. Baroque Revival style.
Plinth, rusticated angle pilasters, eaves cornice and coped
parapet, with balustrade above the centre. 4 storeys including
rusticated ground floor. 9 x 5 bays. Windows are glazing bar
sashes, with elongated keystones on the first and second
floors. Slightly projecting centre, 3 bays, divided by Ionic
pilasters. Tripartite windows, pedimented on the first floor,
flanked by single windows. Above again, a Diocletian window
flanked by round windows, all with foliage surrounds. Basement
has a central round-arched rusticated carriage entrance with
wrought-iron gates. Side bays have 3 windows, those to the
ground floor segment-headed.
Returns have regular fenestration. The second bay is flanked
by rusticated pilasters and has corniced and pedimented
windows, that to the third floor round-arched. On the east
side, an attached area railing.
Inner courtyard has a central carriage entrance flanked by
staircases, with a balcony and doorway above.
Rear ranges, single storey, double height space, have tall
(Nottingam University Local History Collection: Newspaper
cuttings file: 1884-1917: 194).
Listing NGR: SK5622640098
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings