History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Left Hand Glasshouse on North West Side of Botanical Gardens

A Grade II* Listed Building in Broomhill and Sharrow Vale, Sheffield

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3723 / 53°22'20"N

Longitude: -1.4992 / 1°29'56"W

OS Eastings: 433419

OS Northings: 386280

OS Grid: SK334862

Mapcode National: GBR 99N.2X

Mapcode Global: WHCCJ.YH8K

Entry Name: Left Hand Glasshouse on North West Side of Botanical Gardens

Listing Date: 1 May 1952

Last Amended: 12 December 1995

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1247278

English Heritage Legacy ID: 456625

Location: Sheffield, S10

County: Sheffield

Electoral Ward/Division: Broomhill and Sharrow Vale

Built-Up Area: Sheffield

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Endcliffe St Augustine

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Sheffield

Listing Text


SHEFFIELD

SK3386SW CLARKEHOUSE ROAD
784-1/32/199 (South East side)
01/05/52 Left hand glasshouse on north-west
side of Botanical Gardens
(Formerly Listed as:
CLARKEHOUSE ROAD
Range of Three Conservatories in
Botanical Gardens)

GV II*

Glasshouse. 1837-38, with mid C20 alterations. By BB Taylor.
Ashlar and render, with cast-iron framing to glazed square
domed roof, with a square central light enclosed by a metal
balustrade in the form of leaves. Plinth, Corinthian pilasters
and entablature. Single storey; 3 x 3 bays. Central double
doorway with sidelights and cross casement overlight. On
either side, a large glazing bar cross casement. Left return
has 3 similar casements. Right return rendered.
This building is one of a group of 3, originally linked by
colonnades.


Listing NGR: SK3341986280

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


SHEFFIELD

SK3386SW CLARKEHOUSE ROAD
784-1/32/199 (South East side)
01/05/52 Left hand glasshouse on north-west
side of Botanical Gardens
(Formerly Listed as:
CLARKEHOUSE ROAD
Range of Three Conservatories in
Botanical Gardens)

GV II*

Glasshouse. 1837-38, with mid C20 alterations. By BB Taylor.
Ashlar and render, with cast-iron framing to glazed square
domed roof, with a square central light enclosed by a metal
balustrade in the form of leaves. Plinth, Corinthian pilasters
and entablature. Single storey; 3 x 3 bays. Central double
doorway with sidelights and cross casement overlight. On
either side, a large glazing bar cross casement. Left return
has 3 similar casements. Right return rendered.
This building is one of a group of 3, originally linked by
colonnades.


Listing NGR: SK3341986280

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.