This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4385 / 51°26'18"N
Longitude: -2.0061 / 2°0'21"W
OS Eastings: 399672
OS Northings: 171058
OS Grid: ST996710
Mapcode National: GBR 2SV.PMM
Mapcode Global: VHB42.53TK
Entry Name: West Hill House
Listing Date: 19 May 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1247319
English Heritage Legacy ID: 456690
Location: Calne, Wiltshire, SN11
Civil Parish: Calne
Built-Up Area: Calne
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Calne and Blackland St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST9971 MARKET HILL
755-1/4/94 (North side)
West Hill House
Includes: No.8 QUARR BARTON.
Cottage and house, now office and flat. C17 rear cottage,
incorporated into a later C17 central range, with a front
range dated 1705. Limestone rubble with ashlar dressings,
large left-hand rubble gable stack, right-hand ashlar stack, 2
right-hand lateral and rear gable stacks to rear range,
pantile rear roof and slate front roof.
L-shaped plan with 1705 parallel front range, left-hand C17
rear range, with an earlier single-room plan C17 cottage
connected to the rear.
2 storeys, attic and cellar; 5-window front with 2-window
left-hand return, and 1-storey and attic, 1-window range rear
cottage. Principal front is symmetrical with quoins and a
timber modillion cornice gutter, large rubble stack set in
from the left-hand gable, and a ground-floor string. Timber
bracketed pediment to a half-glazed door, and
bolection-moulded architraves to early C19 6/6-pane sashes; 2
C19 gabled dormers. Good lead hopper and downpipe with joint
clips inscribed H/IP/1705. Half-hipped gable of rear range
rises above the ridge, with a C20 casement.
Left-hand return has 2-window rear section set back with
ground- and first-floor strings and coved cornice, with a late
C19 ashlar porch in the angle; the right-hand side has a large
lateral stack with a half gable, a first-floor window with
label mould, and a straight joint with the front range.
Rear cottage has timber lintel from earlier ground-floor
window, exposed end of principal rafter, and later label
moulds over the right-hand Tudor-arched door and 3-light
mullion window with reserved chamfers; a C19 gabled casement
dormer; rear elevation has a large lateral stack, and a wide
right-hand C17 door.
INTERIOR: details include an L-shaped cellar partly cut into
bedrock, a heavy lateral beam with bracketed end supported by
a turned timber post; a cyma-moulded mullion window to the
side. Ground-floor left-hand room has a large fireplace with
bressumer and left-hand niche, C17 scratch-moulded panelling;
right-hand room with complete early C20 panelling and marble
fireplace; central early C18 dogleg stair with column on vase
balusters and uncut string; rear rooms with raised panelling.
First floor has front room with early C18 panelling,
overmantel and timber fire surround with fluted columns;
right-hand stair, and rear bolection-moulded fireplaces.
Rear cottage has a large fireplace, chamfered axial and
lateral floor beams, inserted late C20 stair, and 2
sling-brace trusses, one set into the rear party wall with
No.12 Quarr Barton (qv).
Listing NGR: ST9967271058
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings