This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4384 / 51°26'18"N
Longitude: -2.0059 / 2°0'21"W
OS Eastings: 399685
OS Northings: 171042
OS Grid: ST996710
Mapcode National: GBR 2SV.PPW
Mapcode Global: VHB42.53XN
Plus Code: 9C3VCXQV+9J
Entry Name: 3, Market Hill
Listing Date: 19 May 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1247318
English Heritage Legacy ID: 456689
Location: Calne, Wiltshire, SN11
Civil Parish: Calne
Built-Up Area: Calne
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Calne and Blackland St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST9971 MARKET HILL
755-1/4/93 (North side)
Formerly known as: St Brigett's, St Mary's School MARKET HILL.
House, school, now offices. Dated 1683, restored c1980.
Rendered limestone rubble, ashlar right-hand lateral stack and
stone slate hipped roof with flat, leaded centre. Double-depth
plan with right-hand stair.
3 storeys, attic and cellar; 3-window range. Road front has a
first-floor drip course; right of centre entrance with an
early C19 timber bracketed pediment, ashlar surround and
6-panel door, with wrought-iron rails to steps up. Early or
mid C19 ground-floor 6/6-pane sashes, paired to the left;
bolection-moulded architraves to late C18 6/6-pane first-floor
sashes, and original stone-mullioned and transomed
second-floor cavetto-moulded cross windows.
W front has a continuous ground-floor label mould and
first-floor string, with bolection-moulded paired ground-floor
6/6-pane sashes, and original 3- and central 2-light cross
windows above; 2 late C20 hipped dormers, replacing a central
one. Central sundial inscribed 1683. 2 similar cross windows
light stairs to right-hand return.
INTERIOR: details include a fine late C17 dogleg stair with
turned balusters, square panelled newels, uncut string; fully
panelled rear right-hand room and fire surround; vaulted
cellar; C18 roof with plastered central room and 3-plank door,
inscribed JG/1786; original 2-panel doors; first-floor C19
Egyptian Revival hob grates in bolection-moulded surrounds.
The front room has a fine C17 stone fire surround and
overmantel from Castle House (qv), with a carved central panel
of a burning crocodile, and 2 figures supporting a painted
cartouche. The flat, leaded roof may formerly have supported a
Listing NGR: ST9968671037
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings