History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Lawrence

A Grade II Listed Building in Darnall, Sheffield

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4111 / 53°24'40"N

Longitude: -1.3932 / 1°23'35"W

OS Eastings: 440430

OS Northings: 390649

OS Grid: SK404906

Mapcode National: GBR LXQZ.5X

Mapcode Global: WHDDJ.KJSB

Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence

Listing Date: 28 June 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1247329

English Heritage Legacy ID: 456469

Location: Sheffield, S9

County: Sheffield

Electoral Ward/Division: Darnall

Built-Up Area: Sheffield

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Brinsworth and Catliffe

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Templeborough

Listing Text


SHEFFIELD

SK49SW ST LAWRENCE ROAD, Tinsley
784-1/3/881 (East side)
28/06/73 Church of St Lawrence

GV II

Parish church. Dated 1879, with vestry and parish room 1925.
By GE Street. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings and
plain tile roofs. Gothic Revival style.
PLAN: chancel, nave with north aisle, porches, vestries,
parish room.
EXTERIOR: plinth, sillband, string course, coped gables.
Pointed arch windows throughout.
Chancel east gable has diagonal buttresses, and 5-light window
with hoodmould. On either side, a 2-light window.
Lean-to south vestry has a 2-light window to south and east
and a doorway with hoodmould to west.
4 bay nave has corner stack and east gable topped with gabled
triple bellcote and weathercock. Buttressed west end has a
3-light window flanked by lower blank 2-light windows. South
side has low buttresses and three 3-light windows with linked
hoodmoulds. Between the right pair, a segmental pointed
doorway. To left of the south porch, 2 small lancets.
Buttressed north aisle has three 2-light windows and in the
west end, a moulded doorway with gable and flanking
buttresses. Above it, a quatrefoil window.
Gabled south porch has doorway with crocketed hoodmould.
Interior has arch braced roof and moulded doorway. Flat roofed
north porch has parapet and angled moulded doorway flanked by
single lancets. To north, 2 similar lancets.
Gabled parish room has two 4-light chamfered mullioned windows
in the north gable and a similar 3-light window to west. North
east organ chamber has a 2-light window to east.
INTERIOR has moulded chancel arch with hoodmould. Chancel has
to north a segmental arch with Decorated style screen to organ
chamber and to east, a C20 stained glass window. East end has
a Decorated style wooden reredos, 1896, and late C19 stained
glass window. South side has a C20 stained glass window and to
west a single sedilia and a doorway. Arch braced common rafter
roof.
Nave has 4 bay north arcade with coved octagonal central pier,
the other piers being clustered. All have moulded imposts.
Double purlin principal rafter roof with wind braces and ogee
arch braces. West end has a stained glass window, 1893.
North aisle has lean-to roof. North-east window altered to
form serving hatch. East end has a chamfered pointed recess
with doorway to left and opening to organ chamber to right.
Above it, a round window.
FITTINGS include a half-round traceried ashlar pulpit and
shaped ended stalls and plain benches, C19. Brass eagle
lectern, 1925. Traceried panelled octagonal font, C19, with
very large spired oak cover. Font cover and 8 cruciform spired
pendant lights by GG Pace, c1955. Late C18 parish chest and
communion table. Memorials include marble and alabaster war
memorial tablet, C20, and brass, 1715.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: The West
Riding: London: 1967-: 458).


Listing NGR: SK4043090649


This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 26 October 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


SHEFFIELD

SK49SW ST LAWRENCE ROAD, Tinsley
784-1/3/881 (East side)
28/06/73 Church of St Lawrence

GV II

Parish church. Dated 1879, with vestry and parish room 1925.
By GE Street. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings and
plain tile roofs. Gothic Revival style.
PLAN: chancel, nave with north aisle, porches, vestries,
parish room.
EXTERIOR: plinth, sillband, string course, coped gables.
Pointed arch windows throughout.
Chancel east gable has diagonal buttresses, and 5-light window
with hoodmould. On either side, a 2-light window.
Lean-to south vestry has a 2-light window to south and east
and a doorway with hoodmould to west.
4 bay nave has corner stack and east gable topped with gabled
triple bellcote and weathercock. Buttressed west end has a
3-light window flanked by lower blank 2-light windows. South
side has low buttresses and three 3-light windows with linked
hoodmoulds. Between the right pair, a segmental pointed
doorway. To left of the south porch, 2 small lancets.
Buttressed north aisle has three 2-light windows and in the
west end, a moulded doorway with gable and flanking
buttresses. Above it, a quatrefoil window.
Gabled south porch has doorway with crocketed hoodmould.
Interior has arch braced roof and moulded doorway. Flat roofed
north porch has parapet and angled moulded doorway flanked by
single lancets. To north, 2 similar lancets.
Gabled parish room has two 4-light chamfered mullioned windows
in the north gable and a similar 3-light window to west. North
east organ chamber has a 2-light window to east.
INTERIOR has moulded chancel arch with hoodmould. Chancel has
to north a segmental arch with Decorated style screen to organ
chamber and to east, a C20 stained glass window. East end has
a Decorated style wooden reredos, 1896, and late C19 stained
glass window. South side has a C20 stained glass window and to
west a single sedilia and a doorway. Arch braced common rafter
roof.
Nave has 4 bay north arcade with coved octagonal central pier,
the other piers being clustered. All have moulded imposts.
Double purlin principal rafter roof with wind braces and ogee
arch braces. West end has a stained glass window, 1893.
North aisle has lean-to roof. North-east window altered to
form serving hatch. East end has a chamfered pointed recess
with doorway to left and opening to organ chamber to right.
Above it, a round window.
FITTINGS include a half-round traceried ashlar pulpit and
shaped ended stalls and plain benches, C19. Brass eagle
lectern, 1925. Traceried panelled octagonal font, C19, with
very large spired oak cover. Font cover and 8 cruciform spired
pendant lights by GG Pace, c1955. Late C18 parish chest and
communion table. Memorials include marble and alabaster war
memorial tablet, C20, and brass, 1715.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: The West
Riding: London: 1967-: 458).


Listing NGR: SK4043090649


This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 26 October 2017.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.