This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3954 / 53°23'43"N
Longitude: -1.4443 / 1°26'39"W
OS Eastings: 437047
OS Northings: 388869
OS Grid: SK370888
Mapcode National: GBR 9ND.XN
Mapcode Global: WHDDH.SXDF
Plus Code: 9C5W9HW4+47
Entry Name: Firths Norfolk West Gun Shop
Listing Date: 13 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1247346
English Heritage Legacy ID: 456482
Location: Sheffield, S4
Electoral Ward/Division: Burngreave
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Ellesmere St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK38NE SAVILE STREET EAST
784-1/6/647 (North West side)
13/06/88 Firth's Norfolk, West Gun Shop
Gun works and adjoining workshops and offices. Late C19, with
late C19 and C20 alterations. Probably commissioned by John
Firth (son of Thomas Firth) for Thomas Firth & Sons. Brick
with stone dressings and slate and corrugated iron roofs.
EXTERIOR: plinth and eaves band. 2-storey ranges fronting
Savile Street (29 bays), a rounded corner (8 bays), and a 3
storey range fronting Carwood Road (7 bays).
Savile Street front has to left a 9 window range with a canted
stone oriel window flanked to left by 2 margin light sashes
and to right by 6 plain sashes. Below, a carriage entrance
flanked by single doors with overlights. To left 2, and to
right 3 glazing bar sashes. To the right, 5 recesses defined
by pilasters, the 2 recesses to the right with round heads. 5
triple glazing bar sashes and below, five C20 steel casements.
To right again, 5 blank lunettes and below, 15 round-headed
windows with C19 and C20 triple tilting casements, that to the
left converted to a fire door.
Rounded corner has 8 segment-headed triple tilting casements
on each floor.
Carwood Road front has 7 similar casements and above, a coped
gable containing a Diocletian window. Below, a tilting
casement and a blank, flanked to left by 4 restored windows,
and a fire door.
INTERIOR not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the Gun Shop was constructed specifically for
the forging of heavy artillery barrels and housed two 25-ton
steam hammers (exceptionally large and powerful for the
period). By the mid 1870s, Firth's had established itself as
the foremost gun forgers in the world, and many record
forgings were made in the shop.
(Newbould H: The History of Firth's: 1924-; 100 Years of
Steel: 1937-; Grant A Sir: Steel and Ships: 1950-).
Listing NGR: SK3704788869
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings