History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Firth Park Methodist Church, Adjoining Meeting Room and Boundary Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Firth Park, Sheffield

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4185 / 53°25'6"N

Longitude: -1.4483 / 1°26'53"W

OS Eastings: 436764

OS Northings: 391443

OS Grid: SK367914

Mapcode National: GBR 9N4.1C

Mapcode Global: WHDDH.QBJM

Entry Name: Firth Park Methodist Church, Adjoining Meeting Room and Boundary Wall

Listing Date: 12 December 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1247401

English Heritage Legacy ID: 456865

Location: Sheffield, S5

County: Sheffield

Electoral Ward/Division: Firth Park

Built-Up Area: Sheffield

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Sheffield St Cuthbert, Fir Vale

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Walkley

Listing Text


SHEFFIELD

SK39SE STUBBIN LANE
784-1/2/694 (North East side)
Firth Park Methodist Church,
adjoining meeting room and boundary
wall

II

Methodist church, adjoining meeting room and boundary wall.
Dated 1911. By FW Chapman and J Mansell Jenkinson. Red brick
with ashlar dressings and slate roofs, with 2 gable and single
side wall stacks. Perpendicular Revival style.
PLAN: chancel, vestry, transepts, nave with west towers, west
porch.
EXTERIOR: plinth, sillband, string courses, curved
wrought-iron gutter brackets. Single bay chancel has to east a
traceried 3-light pointed arch window. To north, a 2-storey
porch and vestry with coped parapet. Flat headed 4-light
mullioned window and below, a slightly projecting porch with
Tudor arched ashlar doorcase and double doors.
North transept has coped gable and flanking buttresses. Two
traceried 3-light pointed arch windows with hoodmoulds.
Plainer south transept has 2 windows and corridor to meeting
room with board door and 4-centred arch. Meeting room has a
3-light mullioned window in the west gable, and two 2-light
windows on the south side.
Buttressed nave has coped gables and octagonal wooden bell
turret topped with octagonal lead spire. On either side, 3
flat-headed traceried 2-light windows. West end has wide
7-light pointed arch window with panel tracery and hoodmould.
On either side, an octagonal corner tower, 3 stages, with
string courses, crenellated parapet and set back octagonal
lead spire. Ground stage has single window to west, third
stage has 8 cusped blank openings divided by mullions. North
tower has a single ground stage window to north.
Canted single storey west porch has string course and coped
parapet. Central ashlar doorcase with 2 Tudor arched doors,
and above them, a panel inscribed "United Methodist
Congregation, AD 1911", enclosed in a label mould. On either
side, a canted 5-light flat-headed window.
INTERIOR has panelled dado and ceiling c1980. East end has
partly covered moulded arch flanked by half-glazed doors, and
triple lancet with patterned stained glass.
Transepts have moulded double arches with octagonal columns.
Nave has corbels, wall plate with fleurons, and patterned
stained glass, plus at the rear, 2 glazed double doors.
Entrance hall has half-glazed wooden screens and doors.
Fittings include traceried octagonal panelled wooden pulpit,
altar rail and organ case, and benches with shaped ends.
Memorials include bronze foundation plaque and wooden panel
war memorials, 1918 and 1945.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: outside, boundary wall, coursed squared
stone and brick, with ashlar dressings. Chamfered plinth and
caps to intermediate piers. Incomplete wrought-iron railing. 2
pairs of larger brick gate piers with wrought-iron gates.
Approx 80m long.


Listing NGR: SK3676491443

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


SHEFFIELD

SK39SE STUBBIN LANE
784-1/2/694 (North East side)
Firth Park Methodist Church,
adjoining meeting room and boundary
wall

II

Methodist church, adjoining meeting room and boundary wall.
Dated 1911. By FW Chapman and J Mansell Jenkinson. Red brick
with ashlar dressings and slate roofs, with 2 gable and single
side wall stacks. Perpendicular Revival style.
PLAN: chancel, vestry, transepts, nave with west towers, west
porch.
EXTERIOR: plinth, sillband, string courses, curved
wrought-iron gutter brackets. Single bay chancel has to east a
traceried 3-light pointed arch window. To north, a 2-storey
porch and vestry with coped parapet. Flat headed 4-light
mullioned window and below, a slightly projecting porch with
Tudor arched ashlar doorcase and double doors.
North transept has coped gable and flanking buttresses. Two
traceried 3-light pointed arch windows with hoodmoulds.
Plainer south transept has 2 windows and corridor to meeting
room with board door and 4-centred arch. Meeting room has a
3-light mullioned window in the west gable, and two 2-light
windows on the south side.
Buttressed nave has coped gables and octagonal wooden bell
turret topped with octagonal lead spire. On either side, 3
flat-headed traceried 2-light windows. West end has wide
7-light pointed arch window with panel tracery and hoodmould.
On either side, an octagonal corner tower, 3 stages, with
string courses, crenellated parapet and set back octagonal
lead spire. Ground stage has single window to west, third
stage has 8 cusped blank openings divided by mullions. North
tower has a single ground stage window to north.
Canted single storey west porch has string course and coped
parapet. Central ashlar doorcase with 2 Tudor arched doors,
and above them, a panel inscribed "United Methodist
Congregation, AD 1911", enclosed in a label mould. On either
side, a canted 5-light flat-headed window.
INTERIOR has panelled dado and ceiling c1980. East end has
partly covered moulded arch flanked by half-glazed doors, and
triple lancet with patterned stained glass.
Transepts have moulded double arches with octagonal columns.
Nave has corbels, wall plate with fleurons, and patterned
stained glass, plus at the rear, 2 glazed double doors.
Entrance hall has half-glazed wooden screens and doors.
Fittings include traceried octagonal panelled wooden pulpit,
altar rail and organ case, and benches with shaped ends.
Memorials include bronze foundation plaque and wooden panel
war memorials, 1918 and 1945.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: outside, boundary wall, coursed squared
stone and brick, with ashlar dressings. Chamfered plinth and
caps to intermediate piers. Incomplete wrought-iron railing. 2
pairs of larger brick gate piers with wrought-iron gates.
Approx 80m long.


Listing NGR: SK3676491443

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.