This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3756 / 53°22'32"N
Longitude: -1.464 / 1°27'50"W
OS Eastings: 435758
OS Northings: 386662
OS Grid: SK357866
Mapcode National: GBR 9JM.NQ
Mapcode Global: WHDDP.HF31
Plus Code: 9C5W9GGP+6C
Entry Name: Columbia Place
Listing Date: 28 June 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1247419
English Heritage Legacy ID: 456888
Location: City, Sheffield, S2
Electoral Ward/Division: City
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Sheffield St Mary, Bramall Lane
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK3586NE SUFFOLK ROAD
784-1/31/700 (South West side)
Warehouse, now garage. c1849, mid C19 and late C20
alterations. For Thomas Tillotson & Co. Colourwashed stucco
with hipped slate roof. Classical Revival style.
Plinth and first floor band. 2 storeys plus attics; 3 x 19
windows. East front has first floor band, angle pilasters to
the first floor, cornice and blocking course. Projecting
pedimented centre with single 12 pane sash and frieze
inscribed "Columbia Place". Above the window, a blank panel.
On either side, similar 12 pane sashes with panels above them.
Central moulded round-arched doorway, now blocked, with a flat
hood on scroll brackets, carrying a sculpted and painted Royal
arms. On either side, a round-headed glazing bar window with
moulded head and imposts. Left return has 19 plain sashes on
the first floor and above, 19 smaller plain sashes. Ground
floor has to left 3 large garage doors, and to right, 4 plain
INTERIOR not inspected.
This building was occupied c1876-1937 by Brindley & Foster,
organ builders, and the Royal arms probably relates to a royal
appointment held by them.
Listing NGR: SK3575886662
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings