History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Convent of Our Lady of Mercy

A Grade II Listed Building in Nottingham, City of Nottingham

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9547 / 52°57'16"N

Longitude: -1.1586 / 1°9'30"W

OS Eastings: 456623

OS Northings: 340030

OS Grid: SK566400

Mapcode National: GBR LMN.8Z

Mapcode Global: WHDGS.5ZKR

Entry Name: Convent of Our Lady of Mercy

Listing Date: 12 July 1972

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1247442

English Heritage Legacy ID: 456505

Location: Nottingham, NG1

County: City of Nottingham

Electoral Ward/Division: Radford and Park

Built-Up Area: Nottingham

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Nottingham St Peter with St James

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Nottingham

Listing Text


NOTTINGHAM

SK5640SE COLLEGE STREET
646-1/13/161 (North East side)
12/07/72 Convent of Our Lady of Mercy

GV II

Convent, now partly an old people's home. 1845-48 and 1857. By
Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin, with later C19 additions.
Altered late C20 by Bartlett Gray of West Bridgford.
Red brick with ashlar dressings and slate roofs, with plain gable
and ridge stacks.
Gothic Revival style.
EXTERIOR: plinth, first floor band, coped gables. Plinth,
first floor band, coped gables. Windows are mainly glazing bar
casements with stone mullions and surrounds. 2 and 3 storeys
plus attics; 9 x 6 windows. 4 ranges enclosing a quadrangle
and cloister.
East front has 8 cross casements to ground floor, with a
single light window and pointed arched door to right. Above, 8
similar windows, and above again, 6 smaller transomed windows
flanked by single cross casements. Attics have 6 gabled
dormers. To right, the projecting east gable of the chapel,
with 3 stepped buttresses. 2 segmental pointed windows,
3-lights, and in the left return, a similar window. Above, a
5-light pointed arched window with Decorated tracery. South
side has a Decorated window, 2-lights, and north side has 4
similar windows. The remaining outer sides of the quadrangle
have minimal openings and features.
Inside the quadrangle: south side, 2 storeys, has 5 chamfered
pointed arches forming a cloister, the east arch with a late
C20 glazed screen and door. Above, 6 traceried flat-headed
windows, 3-lights. West side has 6 mullioned windows, 3
lights, enlarged late C20. Above, 6 lancets with transoms.
Attics have 6 gabled dormers. North and east sides have
lean-to corridors, 2 storeys, with 3-light mullioned windows
to the ground floor and 3-light pointed arched windows above.
North side has dormers. At the north-east corner, a square
stair tower, 3 storeys, with mullioned windows and pyramidal
roof. Above and behind, a square bell turret with 2-light
openings and pyramidal roof.
INTERIOR: chapel, single unit, rendered, with stencilled
decoration. Redecorated and reseated 1990-91. Scissor braced
roof with painted framed panels to 3 eastern bays. Traceried
panelled dado and stencilled frieze. East end has a blind
arcaded ashlar reredos with a large figure and bracket each
side, and C19 stained glass window. Side windows have stained
glass. West end has 2 pointed arched doors and a pointed
arched opening above, with organ gallery. South-west door has
moulded opening and stoups each side. Fittings include
original marble and alabaster altar with relief panel, by
Hardman.
First floor cloister, to south, has panelled wagon roof and 6
ogee-headed niches. Corridors have chamfered pointed arches
and roll-moulded doorways. Stone winder stair with iron
framing.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
1979-: 242).


Listing NGR: SK5662340030

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


NOTTINGHAM

SK5640SE COLLEGE STREET
646-1/13/161 (North East side)
12/07/72 Convent of Our Lady of Mercy

GV II

Convent, now partly an old people's home. 1845-48 and 1857. By
Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin, with later C19 additions.
Altered late C20 by Bartlett Gray of West Bridgford.
Red brick with ashlar dressings and slate roofs, with plain gable
and ridge stacks.
Gothic Revival style.
EXTERIOR: plinth, first floor band, coped gables. Plinth,
first floor band, coped gables. Windows are mainly glazing bar
casements with stone mullions and surrounds. 2 and 3 storeys
plus attics; 9 x 6 windows. 4 ranges enclosing a quadrangle
and cloister.
East front has 8 cross casements to ground floor, with a
single light window and pointed arched door to right. Above, 8
similar windows, and above again, 6 smaller transomed windows
flanked by single cross casements. Attics have 6 gabled
dormers. To right, the projecting east gable of the chapel,
with 3 stepped buttresses. 2 segmental pointed windows,
3-lights, and in the left return, a similar window. Above, a
5-light pointed arched window with Decorated tracery. South
side has a Decorated window, 2-lights, and north side has 4
similar windows. The remaining outer sides of the quadrangle
have minimal openings and features.
Inside the quadrangle: south side, 2 storeys, has 5 chamfered
pointed arches forming a cloister, the east arch with a late
C20 glazed screen and door. Above, 6 traceried flat-headed
windows, 3-lights. West side has 6 mullioned windows, 3
lights, enlarged late C20. Above, 6 lancets with transoms.
Attics have 6 gabled dormers. North and east sides have
lean-to corridors, 2 storeys, with 3-light mullioned windows
to the ground floor and 3-light pointed arched windows above.
North side has dormers. At the north-east corner, a square
stair tower, 3 storeys, with mullioned windows and pyramidal
roof. Above and behind, a square bell turret with 2-light
openings and pyramidal roof.
INTERIOR: chapel, single unit, rendered, with stencilled
decoration. Redecorated and reseated 1990-91. Scissor braced
roof with painted framed panels to 3 eastern bays. Traceried
panelled dado and stencilled frieze. East end has a blind
arcaded ashlar reredos with a large figure and bracket each
side, and C19 stained glass window. Side windows have stained
glass. West end has 2 pointed arched doors and a pointed
arched opening above, with organ gallery. South-west door has
moulded opening and stoups each side. Fittings include
original marble and alabaster altar with relief panel, by
Hardman.
First floor cloister, to south, has panelled wagon roof and 6
ogee-headed niches. Corridors have chamfered pointed arches
and roll-moulded doorways. Stone winder stair with iron
framing.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
1979-: 242).


Listing NGR: SK5662340030

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.