This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9544 / 52°57'15"N
Longitude: -1.1572 / 1°9'25"W
OS Eastings: 456719
OS Northings: 340001
OS Grid: SK567400
Mapcode National: GBR LMP.K2
Mapcode Global: WHDGS.6Z7Z
Plus Code: 9C4WXR3V+Q4
Entry Name: Presbytery to Cathedral Church of St Barnabas
Listing Date: 12 July 1972
Last Amended: 30 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1247203
English Heritage Legacy ID: 456506
Location: Nottingham, NG1
County: City of Nottingham
Electoral Ward/Division: Radford and Park
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Nottingham St Peter with St James
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK5640SE COLLEGE STREET
646-1/13/162 (North East side)
12/07/72 Presbytery to Cathedral Church of St
(Formerly Listed as:
Presbytery to Roman Catholic
Cathedral of St Barnabas)
Presbytery. 1841-44. By Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin.
C20 alterations. Red brick,with ashlar dressings and slate roofs
with coped gables. One gable and 3 external side wall stacks.
Tudor Revival style.
Windows are mainly casements with ashlar mullions, transoms
and surrounds. 2 storeys plus attics; 3 x 3 windows. Square
plan with central light well.
Entrance front, to west, has a pointed arched doorway with
hood mould, flanked to left by a 3-light cross casement, with
beyond 2 cross casements. To right, a cross casement stair
window, then an external stack. Above, 3 mullioned windows,
the right one smaller. Above again, a gabled dormer.
South front has a shouldered external stack containing 2
segmental pointed recesses with cross casements, and above
them, a crest. To right, a cross casement, and above, 2
mullioned windows. To left, a gabled wing with a canted bay
window, 2 storeys, 5-lights, with hipped lead roof. Above, a
small mullioned window. At the north-east corner, a lean-to
porch with pointed arched door and 2-light pointed arched
window, linked directly to a corridor connected to the
Cathedral in Derby Road (qv).
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
Listing NGR: SK5671940001
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings